Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stopping moving mesh to a boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a simple solenoid with mf and ale, but I'm having some trouble with preventing the anchor from moving inside other objects. I'd like to get the moving anchor to hit the upper counterpart and stop there.

I have tried to implement this by forming the geometry to an assembly and using contact pairs and solid mechanics, but I can't seem to get the pairing to work. I get "Failed to evaluate variable" and "Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian" error messages when I try to run the model.

If I disable continuity under Magnetic Fields, the model seems to work but because there is no continuity between the objects, the magnetic field is trapped inside the coil.

Is there other (easier) ways to realize this functionality and if there isn't, what am I doing wrong with my current approach?

1 Reply Last Post Feb 1, 2016, 7:31 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 1, 2016, 7:31 a.m. EST
I just noticed that for some reason the electromagnetic force is zero when I use assembly and identity pairs. There are a few other threads in the forum with similar problems with electromagnetic or electrostatic force but neither of them got any answers to their questions.

I'm a bit stumped with this problem. When I use unity instead of assembly, everything works as intended, but I can't prevent the plunger from overlapping with the static part.

If I switch to assembly and use only identity pairs, the model works and creates a magnetic flux that seems realistic, but doesn't induce any force to the plunger for some reason. If I insert any contact pairs anywhere in the model, I get the "Failed to evaluate variable" and "Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian" error messages.
I just noticed that for some reason the electromagnetic force is zero when I use assembly and identity pairs. There are a few other threads in the forum with similar problems with electromagnetic or electrostatic force but neither of them got any answers to their questions. I'm a bit stumped with this problem. When I use unity instead of assembly, everything works as intended, but I can't prevent the plunger from overlapping with the static part. If I switch to assembly and use only identity pairs, the model works and creates a magnetic flux that seems realistic, but doesn't induce any force to the plunger for some reason. If I insert any contact pairs anywhere in the model, I get the "Failed to evaluate variable" and "Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian" error messages.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.