Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material removal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate material removal in Comsol. My aim is that I want the material removal in the material after the temperature goes beyond its melting temperature. I have been trying to change density of the material as function of temperature but I am failing to do so. can anyone help me please to simulate this?

1 Reply Last Post Feb 5, 2016, 7:38 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 5, 2016, 7:38 a.m. EST
Hello,

i think the solution is to couple the deformed geometry solver with the heat equation solver. Similar problems are the removal of metal by electrochemical machining (look in the tutorial guide, there is an example "ECM microbore") or the electrochemical polishing. Both examples combine the deformed geometry with another physical phenomena to remove material. So maybe you can transfer the strategies to your case. Something like "moving mesh, when T>Tmelt" or something like his.

Good luck.

Greets
Ingo
Hello, i think the solution is to couple the deformed geometry solver with the heat equation solver. Similar problems are the removal of metal by electrochemical machining (look in the tutorial guide, there is an example "ECM microbore") or the electrochemical polishing. Both examples combine the deformed geometry with another physical phenomena to remove material. So maybe you can transfer the strategies to your case. Something like "moving mesh, when T>Tmelt" or something like his. Good luck. Greets Ingo

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.