Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solver sequence?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,
I have question about solver sequencing.
In the structural mechanics module, I have a structure under some static forces. These forces generate some displacements in the structure but then i want to solve an eigen value or frequency responce sweep analysis to see how this deformations caused by the static force change the resonance frequency of the structure. so basically what I want to do is to store the deformation of the structure in the first satatic analysis and then run a second analysis which is an eigen value or frequency response on the deformed structure. storing the result of the first analysis as a initial value for the second analysis seems to give strange result. Does anyone has an opinion?or another way?
Thanks

2 Replies Last Post Aug 19, 2012, 10:36 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 14, 2010, 5:47 p.m. EDT
Hi

normally in V4 its straight forward: solve stationary, save results solve eigenfrequency by using the stationary case as initial value,
If you are using a chnge in the geometry for a sweep, be sure you select PARAMETRIC SWEEP, as the stationary "continuation" does NOT update the geometry, only the paramteric sweep loops fully around to induce geometry and mesh changes.
Depending on the force applied you might need large deformations on

In 3.5 I believe you must pass via matlab, no way in the GUI if I remember correctly

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally in V4 its straight forward: solve stationary, save results solve eigenfrequency by using the stationary case as initial value, If you are using a chnge in the geometry for a sweep, be sure you select PARAMETRIC SWEEP, as the stationary "continuation" does NOT update the geometry, only the paramteric sweep loops fully around to induce geometry and mesh changes. Depending on the force applied you might need large deformations on In 3.5 I believe you must pass via matlab, no way in the GUI if I remember correctly -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 19, 2012, 10:36 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,
Thank you so much. I just saw your reply but it is still useful. I finally could not do it in V3.5 and I did it in ANSYS at that time. But now I will try the V4.3
Nastaran
Hi Ivar, Thank you so much. I just saw your reply but it is still useful. I finally could not do it in V3.5 and I did it in ANSYS at that time. But now I will try the V4.3 Nastaran

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.