Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Structural Element Subjected to Dynamic Force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey Everybody,

I am trying to model two cylindrical concrete elements embedded in an elastic domain from a different material. I want to subject the top of one cylindrical concrete element to a dynamic sinusoidal force and inspect its effect on the other cylindrical element. However, I am not sure of how to model such dynamic force. I am using a frequency domain study and a boundary load to specify the amplitude of the force. The frequency of the force is assigned then in the Frequency Domain study node. The model took too much time to run that I had to eventually close it before solving the problem. Can anybody help me in how to assign such dynamic force properly?

Thank you,

2 Replies Last Post Feb 16, 2016, 2:08 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 15, 2016, 2:05 a.m. EST
Hi

From what you explain it sounds reasonable for me to to use the frequency domain solver with a single or a span of frequencies to cover a frequency bandwidth of a sinusoidal applied boundary load.
If you say your model does not converge, it sounds for me as if your model is perhaps not set up in the best way, or the mesh is not adequate , the load too high to stay within a linear regime or you have some non-linear material behavior that could imply some solver tweaking. But its very difficult to say more without having the ability to look at the model for us out here ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi From what you explain it sounds reasonable for me to to use the frequency domain solver with a single or a span of frequencies to cover a frequency bandwidth of a sinusoidal applied boundary load. If you say your model does not converge, it sounds for me as if your model is perhaps not set up in the best way, or the mesh is not adequate , the load too high to stay within a linear regime or you have some non-linear material behavior that could imply some solver tweaking. But its very difficult to say more without having the ability to look at the model for us out here ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 16, 2016, 2:08 a.m. EST
Thank you Ivar for your fast and valuable respond. I will do some modifications to the model and upload it here today for your kind review.
Thank you Ivar for your fast and valuable respond. I will do some modifications to the model and upload it here today for your kind review.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.