Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I modify equations of a built-in physics model ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working on a piezoelectric device and I would like COMSOL to take into account the electrostrictive effect.
I know that it's possible to build your own physics but here I just need to add a single term to one equation.
So I'm looking for an option in a menu, or a .mphphb file that I could modify; but so far I haven't found it.

Do I need to rebuild the Solid mechanics physics? Can I add an equation that override the one COMSOL currently using ?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you,

Pierre

2 Replies Last Post Mar 23, 2016, 11:21 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 23, 2016, 4:08 a.m. EDT
Hi,

There are many different ways in which you can modify the physics. Some examples:

For your specific problem, you can enter an extra strain contribution expression in the Initial Stress/Strain node.

A more advanced option is to add your own code, using an External Strain node.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, There are many different ways in which you can modify the physics. Some examples: For your specific problem, you can enter an extra strain contribution expression in the Initial Stress/Strain node. A more advanced option is to add your own code, using an External Strain node. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 23, 2016, 11:21 a.m. EDT
Thank you for your help,

Regards,
Pierre
Thank you for your help, Regards, Pierre

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.