Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time Dependent Study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

There's something about the time dependent studies in COMSOL that I'm not able to understand and I would like you to help me if possible.

I am solving a heat transfer problem and, to do this, I am using a time dependent study. I have done two different simulations:

1) I have solved the problem for 10 seconds, using a time step of 5 seconds ("range(0, 5, 10)")
, and then calculated the temperature in one point of the domain at t = 5s.

2) I have solved the problem for 5 seconds, using a time step of 5 seconds ("range(0, 5, 5)"), and then calculated the temperature in the same point as in the first simulation, also at t =5s.

I was expecting to obtain the same result in the two simulations since the problem is exactly the same, but the results were different. I have noticed that if I change the time for the simulation to stop, the results, even in a same moment, differ. Could you explain me why this happens?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Apr 6, 2016, 1:50 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Mar 30, 2016, 7:45 a.m. EDT
Hi,

See www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/108101/

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, See http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/108101/ Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 6, 2016, 1:50 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much for your answer, it was very useful!

Regards,
Diego Fernández
Thank you very much for your answer, it was very useful! Regards, Diego Fernández

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.