Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic (Optical) heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a model in which I want to study the induced heat due to absorption of waves in the range of optical frequencies. As the minimum dimensions of my model are near the wavelenths, I am using microwave heating under heat transfer in solids module (electromagnetic waves frq domain+heat transfer in solids).
My question is that which subnode I can use for the absorption of waves at the surface of my model (which is metallic in this case). There is a subnode called "port" under electromagnetic waves but I don't think that can be used for metallic boundary and even if I use that port to define the input power of radiation, the simulation shows a very very high temperature which is not possible.

So, if anybody is working with radiation heating etc and have some idea which type of interface can be used, I would appreciate the help. Thanks

~Hasan Ali

2 Replies Last Post Apr 12, 2016, 4:15 a.m. EDT
Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 7, 2016, 9:54 a.m. EDT
Hi Hassan,
the Impedance boundary condtion is probably the best choice. There is a blog post about this here:
www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-metallic-objects-in-wave-electromagnetics-problems/

kind regards
Niklas

Hi,

I have a model in which I want to study the induced heat due to absorption of waves in the range of optical frequencies. As the minimum dimensions of my model are near the wavelenths, I am using microwave heating under heat transfer in solids module (electromagnetic waves frq domain+heat transfer in solids).
My question is that which subnode I can use for the absorption of waves at the surface of my model (which is metallic in this case). There is a subnode called "port" under electromagnetic waves but I don't think that can be used for metallic boundary and even if I use that port to define the input power of radiation, the simulation shows a very very high temperature which is not possible.

So, if anybody is working with radiation heating etc and have some idea which type of interface can be used, I would appreciate the help. Thanks

~Hasan Ali

Hi Hassan, the Impedance boundary condtion is probably the best choice. There is a blog post about this here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-metallic-objects-in-wave-electromagnetics-problems/ kind regards Niklas [QUOTE] Hi, I have a model in which I want to study the induced heat due to absorption of waves in the range of optical frequencies. As the minimum dimensions of my model are near the wavelenths, I am using microwave heating under heat transfer in solids module (electromagnetic waves frq domain+heat transfer in solids). My question is that which subnode I can use for the absorption of waves at the surface of my model (which is metallic in this case). There is a subnode called "port" under electromagnetic waves but I don't think that can be used for metallic boundary and even if I use that port to define the input power of radiation, the simulation shows a very very high temperature which is not possible. So, if anybody is working with radiation heating etc and have some idea which type of interface can be used, I would appreciate the help. Thanks ~Hasan Ali [/QUOTE]

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 12, 2016, 4:15 a.m. EDT
Dear Niklas,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards

Hasan Ali
Dear Niklas, Thanks for your suggestions. Regards Hasan Ali

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.