Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material property across the interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I assign two materials with different conductivity values (sigma1 and sigma2) into two adjacent objects. In the geometry list - Form Assembly(fin), we can chose form an assembly or form a union. Is there any difference in these two methods regarding the sigma value when pass across the interface between object1 and object2? To be more specific, will the sigma1 sharply drop to sigma2 when forming an assembly, while sigma1 decreases to sigma2 in a continuous way when forming a union?

Thanks for your reply very much!

Kind regards,
Shujun

6 Replies Last Post Apr 15, 2016, 3:44 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 14, 2016, 9:29 a.m. EDT
Hello Shujun,
You may find this link helpful:
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1216/
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Shujun, You may find this link helpful: https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1216/ Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 14, 2016, 10:24 a.m. EDT
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!

In the document, it says that by default, continuity of the fields and the fluxes will be maintained across the interior boundaries in Form Union but not in Form Assembly. So, I suppose one can say that the conductivity changes in a more continuous way in forming union than in forming assembly when across the interior boundaries?

Regards.
Hi Jeff, Thanks for your reply! In the document, it says that by default, continuity of the fields and the fluxes will be maintained across the interior boundaries in Form Union but not in Form Assembly. So, I suppose one can say that the conductivity changes in a more continuous way in forming union than in forming assembly when across the interior boundaries? Regards.

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 14, 2016, 11:25 a.m. EDT
No, one cannot infer that. The conductivity in each domain will be what you set it to in either case.
Jeff
No, one cannot infer that. The conductivity in each domain will be what you set it to in either case. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 14, 2016, 1:50 p.m. EDT
Ok. So, in this case, the conductivity will drop sharply to sigma2 when crossing the interior boundaries, no matter we form union or form assembly?
Ok. So, in this case, the conductivity will drop sharply to sigma2 when crossing the interior boundaries, no matter we form union or form assembly?

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 14, 2016, 3:22 p.m. EDT
That's right.
Jeff
That's right. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 15, 2016, 3:44 a.m. EDT
I get it. Thank you Jeff.

Shujun
I get it. Thank you Jeff. Shujun

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.