Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about modeling propagating plane wave (wave optics)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am new to Comsol, so unfortunately I have little experience. I am trying to set up a very simple model in which I have a propagating plane wave in air, normally incident upon different materials with different geometries. It is to be a 2D model. Simply put: air medium, material (different types of plastic) with different geometries, then air. I am currently doing modeling in a ray tracing solver, but I wanted to compare the results with FDTD (patterned geometries are 2mm in size, corner cube reflectors). I want to know the reflectance / transmission of this plane wave as it interacts with these media. Plus I wanted the nice visualization of the plane wave reflecting for a presentation.

Here is a video (clip on the left), that I am trying to simulate. The plane wave can be a pulse, rather than continuous if that's easier to model.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRGfYqqjXDo

Any advice as far as the type of solver, setup, variables, etc. would be great. I feel like I should be able to do this! As it doesn't appear to be anything to complex other than a plane wave incident upon a surface!

Thanks,
Dan

0 Replies Last Post May 1, 2016, 10:08 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dan Wolfe

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.