Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems with STEP FUNCTION

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I have an inlet in a water reactor working in the following way: 10 s on, 80 s off, 10 s on, 80 s off....

-Fist of all, I have built a PIECEWISE (pw1) function (0<t<10 = 1, 10<t<90 = 0)
-Then, using this piecewise function I have built an ANALYTIC function (an1) with a periodic extension 0-90, and plot parameters 0-900. When I plot it, everything is OK.
- Finally I have created a variable for the inlet velocity: 0.265[m/s]*an1(t[1/s])

When I compute my model, the inlet works only in the first 10 seconds, but after 90 seconds it doesn´t start working agains as an inlet, there is no velocity.

Why????

Thank you so much

2 Replies Last Post May 20, 2016, 11:00 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago May 20, 2016, 1:47 a.m. EDT
Hi

are you sure you have set the time stepping to "intermediate" such that the solver is not "jumping" over the repetitive peaks ?
By default the solver settings for time series is in "diffusion problem modus" expecting an exponential convergence.
When you define periodic input flux excitations you need to change that setting. There are several threads about that around too. Its far down in the solver tree

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you sure you have set the time stepping to "intermediate" such that the solver is not "jumping" over the repetitive peaks ? By default the solver settings for time series is in "diffusion problem modus" expecting an exponential convergence. When you define periodic input flux excitations you need to change that setting. There are several threads about that around too. Its far down in the solver tree -- Good luck Ivar

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago May 20, 2016, 11:00 a.m. EDT
Dear Ricardo,

To ensure that solver captures such changes in the boundary conditions, it would be appropriate to use the Events interface. See, for example:
www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-a-periodic-heat-load/

Best Regards,
Dear Ricardo, To ensure that solver captures such changes in the boundary conditions, it would be appropriate to use the Events interface. See, for example: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-a-periodic-heat-load/ Best Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.