Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Armature displacement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Friends,

I want to simulate the armature displacement inside of coil. For this I created the geometry and put the the physics which are the magnetic Fields and domains ODE. The thing is, I didn't find a way to couple both the electromagnetic force into the ODE. Do you have any idea if my physics choice is good or I need to reconsider that?

Any help will be more than useful, thanks

6 Replies Last Post Jun 20, 2016, 11:31 a.m. EDT
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 7, 2016, 8:26 p.m. EDT
Hi Moadh,

To model the linear plunger that is moving inside the coil, please refer to the following blog post.

www.comsol.com/blogs/part-1-how-to-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger/

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi Moadh, To model the linear plunger that is moving inside the coil, please refer to the following blog post. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/part-1-how-to-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger/ Hope this helps. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 10, 2016, 11:41 a.m. EDT
Hi Nirmal,

I have been trying to simulate the movement of an armature due to the electromagnetic force produced by permanent magnets and a multi - turn coil. The other forces acting on the plunger is a spring force, but the spring is also preloaded.

I am not sure if I define the forces correctly, but the plunger is moving and interfering with the stator.

Can you help me to resolve this issue?

If you need more information, I can prepare something and share it with you.

Regards,

Pavlos.
Hi Nirmal, I have been trying to simulate the movement of an armature due to the electromagnetic force produced by permanent magnets and a multi - turn coil. The other forces acting on the plunger is a spring force, but the spring is also preloaded. I am not sure if I define the forces correctly, but the plunger is moving and interfering with the stator. Can you help me to resolve this issue? If you need more information, I can prepare something and share it with you. Regards, Pavlos.

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 10, 2016, 11:43 a.m. EDT
Thanks a lot!
Thanks a lot!

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 13, 2016, 8:37 a.m. EDT
take a lot at this model
take a lot at this model

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 18, 2016, 1:42 p.m. EDT
Hi Pavlos,

It the motion of the plunger is limited, you could use the approach technique in this blog post.
www.comsol.com/blogs/part-2-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger-with-a-blocker/

This will make sure that your plunger is not interfering with the other parts.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi Pavlos, It the motion of the plunger is limited, you could use the approach technique in this blog post. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/part-2-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger-with-a-blocker/ This will make sure that your plunger is not interfering with the other parts. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 20, 2016, 11:31 a.m. EDT
Hi all,

First of all, I would to like to thank you both for the advice. I tried to implement the same physics as described in here : www.comsol.com/blogs/part-2-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger-with-a-blocker/

But it seems that I am not defining the parameters and the event conditions correctly.

Another way I tried to solve this problem is by introducing a stop condition in my study (for example I setup the study to stop when the displacement is equal or greater than 17 mm).

Kind regards,

Pavlos Zairis
Hi all, First of all, I would to like to thank you both for the advice. I tried to implement the same physics as described in here : https://www.comsol.com/blogs/part-2-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger-with-a-blocker/ But it seems that I am not defining the parameters and the event conditions correctly. Another way I tried to solve this problem is by introducing a stop condition in my study (for example I setup the study to stop when the displacement is equal or greater than 17 mm). Kind regards, Pavlos Zairis

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.