Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error: The relative residual (3.6) is greater than the relative tolerance.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I would like to model a cylindrical beam undergoing tensile stress in the z direction in hoping to observe the resultant strain in the x and y directions. However, when I click study, i get this error: Error: The relative residual (3.6) is greater than the relative tolerance.

This error seems to run away when I applied a fixed constraint. however, applying fixed constraint is not what I want in my simulation.

The .jpg is what I wish to simulate. I also attached the comsol file if anyone wishes to correct me.

Thank you

Regards,
Jason Lee

2 Replies Last Post Aug 19, 2016, 9:39 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jason Lee

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 17, 2016, 2:48 p.m. EDT
Dear Jason,
I have the same problem and I don't know what to do as well.
Please update me when you find it.

Thanks
Dear Jason, I have the same problem and I don't know what to do as well. Please update me when you find it. Thanks

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 19, 2016, 9:39 p.m. EDT
Hi Jason,
You should apply a force F at one end of the cylinder, but at the other end of the cylinder, where the reaction would be -F, you need to apply a displacement constraint. One way to do it is shown in the attached file. -DW
P.S. The system won't let me attach a file right now for some reason. I will try again later.
Hi Jason, You should apply a force F at one end of the cylinder, but at the other end of the cylinder, where the reaction would be -F, you need to apply a displacement constraint. One way to do it is shown in the attached file. -DW P.S. The system won't let me attach a file right now for some reason. I will try again later.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.