Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laser as a heat source in 3D and 2D axis symmetry models in Comsol v5.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am having a problem with using a gaussian laser source for heating in a pair of equivalent 2D and 3D models. I have created a 2D plane in a 2D axis-symmetry model and its equivalent 3D cylinder in a 3D model.

When i used a uniform planar heating source, both 2D and 3D models gave the same temperature distributions. When i switched to a gaussian pulse laser source, however, the 3D model gave a much higher maximum temperature (580 K compared to 440 K).

I followed the "moving laser ablation on a silicon substrate" example to setup a stationary gaussian laser pulse in the 3D model at the model origin [i.e., p_laser*gp1(x)*gp1(y) where gp1 is the gaussian pulse]. In the 2D axis-symmetry model, I simply replaced both the x and y variables with a single variable r [i.e., p_laser*gp1(r)*gp1(r)] but I got a lower maximum temperature. Can i know what should the correct expression for the gaussian laser heating look like in the 2D axis-symmetry model?

Thanks,

Will

0 Replies Last Post Jun 17, 2016, 9:16 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello William Ong

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.