Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to 'continue' a parametric sweep in case of a problem?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I have a parametric sweep. Sometimes the simulation fails at one of these values, and the sweep stops. If I fix the problem and I do not want to reprocess those parameter values which succeeded, how can I run the simulation for only the remaining parameters, and accumulate the results so that finally I have the complete set of solutions?
Thank you
Daniel

8 Replies Last Post Feb 27, 2017, 10:16 a.m. EST
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 27, 2016, 3:30 a.m. EDT
Hi Daniel,

since the solution to your question appears to be not be well-known in the community,
I take the opportunity to comment on it.

The setting that will probly help you can be found in
Study > Job Configurations > Parametric Sweep >
Settings Window > Error > "Stop if error"

If you disable this setting the solver will not stop but merely report that for a given parameter an error was encountered, all other solutions will be produced.

See my screenshot for explanation: The sweep contains a configuration R=0.6 for which the problem cannot be solved. The solver will return all others and report the error for 0.6.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,

Sven Friedel
Hi Daniel, since the solution to your question appears to be not be well-known in the community, I take the opportunity to comment on it. The setting that will probly help you can be found in Study > Job Configurations > Parametric Sweep > Settings Window > Error > "Stop if error" If you disable this setting the solver will not stop but merely report that for a given parameter an error was encountered, all other solutions will be produced. See my screenshot for explanation: The sweep contains a configuration R=0.6 for which the problem cannot be solved. The solver will return all others and report the error for 0.6. I hope this will help you. Best regards, Sven Friedel

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 30, 2016, 3:20 a.m. EDT
Dear Sven,
Perfect, thank you.
If I decide later to add one more parameter value to the sweep, can I run the simulation only for that particular value, and append the solution to the parametric solution?
Thank you
Daniel
Dear Sven, Perfect, thank you. If I decide later to add one more parameter value to the sweep, can I run the simulation only for that particular value, and append the solution to the parametric solution? Thank you Daniel

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 30, 2016, 9:59 a.m. EDT
Dear Daniel,

no, I do not think this is possible in the current version, you would need to start a new parametric sweep.

Sven Friedel
Dear Daniel, no, I do not think this is possible in the current version, you would need to start a new parametric sweep. Sven Friedel

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 30, 2016, 3:09 p.m. EDT
Daniel,
If time is your constrain, add another parametric study and use dataset join/ function to append the results.
Daniel, If time is your constrain, add another parametric study and use dataset join/ function to append the results.

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 24, 2017, 12:44 p.m. EST
I am trying to implement this solution in version 5.2a on Linux, and creating the Job Configurations node is not available.

Was this feature removed in the software update? Is it not available on the Linux platform? Is the feature now activated under a different node?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am trying to implement this solution in version 5.2a on Linux, and creating the Job Configurations node is not available. Was this feature removed in the software update? Is it not available on the Linux platform? Is the feature now activated under a different node? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 27, 2017, 2:58 a.m. EST
The feature "Job Configurations" appears when you either run the study or right-click on your study and click "Show Default Solver".

Sven
The feature "Job Configurations" appears when you either run the study or right-click on your study and click "Show Default Solver". Sven

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 27, 2017, 10:05 a.m. EST
Thanks for the reply, Sven...

I wanted to follow up and write in here that I was only able to access the Job Configurations node after hitting the "show" button within the model builder and enabling the "Advanced Study Options" viewer.

After doing this, Job Configurations automatically became viewable and editable.

Jake
Thanks for the reply, Sven... I wanted to follow up and write in here that I was only able to access the Job Configurations node after hitting the "show" button within the model builder and enabling the "Advanced Study Options" viewer. After doing this, Job Configurations automatically became viewable and editable. Jake

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 27, 2017, 10:16 a.m. EST
Thanks for pointing that out - truely I have this option on by default.
Thanks for pointing that out - truely I have this option on by default.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.