Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time-Dependent Heat Transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate heating a block of metal in a furnace, and have chosen to use a time-dependent external temperature (by creating a piecewise function for T(t) ), to simulate a furnace heating the metal from 300K to 650K.

When I run the model for a simulated time of 12hrs, the temperature only gets to ~350K, and this seems way low for a heated metal. What could I be missing?

Current settings:
T_initial = 300K
T(t) = 0.6*t+300K
External natural convection
Sphere diameter = 9in, air

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post Jul 7, 2016, 2:09 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 7, 2016, 2:09 p.m. EDT
See this old thread where we discussed the penetration depth, i.e. the order order of magnitude of how far in temperature will increase by conduction in a given time:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/16808
Conduction is a relatively slow process, with the penetration depth increasing only with the square root of time.
If you provided the material properties yourself, you can also check on those, including units.
Best,
Jeff
See this old thread where we discussed the penetration depth, i.e. the order order of magnitude of how far in temperature will increase by conduction in a given time: https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/16808 Conduction is a relatively slow process, with the penetration depth increasing only with the square root of time. If you provided the material properties yourself, you can also check on those, including units. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.