Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation caused by heating of a laser beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am a student and new on Comsol. I am simulating the deformation caused by the heating of a laser beam on an aluminum sample. The problem that is happening is that the deformation seen in 3D is different from 2D. The deformation in 3D is alright, but when I select the yz-plane and try to see in 2D, the result is completely different. The images of what is happening are attached. They are in the same coordinate, time and temperature.

2 Replies Last Post Aug 1, 2016, 8:18 a.m. EDT
David Sánchez Ávila

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 8, 2016, 5:25 a.m. EDT
If you share the model i can try see the difference. Is your model heat transfer and mechanical ? it very different if you want melt with the laser....
If you share the model i can try see the difference. Is your model heat transfer and mechanical ? it very different if you want melt with the laser....

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 1, 2016, 8:18 a.m. EDT
Thanks for you help David, but I've found the mistake.
Thanks for you help David, but I've found the mistake.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.