Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using angle from geometry circle to generate a displacement in the structural mechanics node

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm still fairly new to COMSOL so hopefully I've described everything properly and with the correct terminology.

I am interested in modeling the transient forces of a multi-layer elastic material when the outer most spherical layer is stretched in the radial direction between times t_on and t_off. I have a 2D axisymmetric model set up with the outer most layer as a circle and am attempting to use the Solid Mechanics Prescribed Displacement and/or Prescribed Velocity nodes to apply the stretch. To my knowledge, these nodes only accept displacements/velocities in the r and z axes.

Is it possible to use the angle from the geometry of the outer most circle (in axisymmetric view) as an argument to sin/cos to get the correct r/z displacements under the Solid Mechanics Prescribed Displacement/Velocity nodes? Or is there an altogether better node to use to accomplish the same thing?

Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post Jul 6, 2016, 10:54 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Steven Luminais

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.