Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Periodic FLOQUET boundary conditions: How to define the k-vector?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In am simulating plane waves incident upon a stack of thin films (at oblique angle of incidence), each layer with different (real part of) refractive index, e.g. different k-vectors. Now the question is how i should define the k-vector to be used with a periodic FLOQUET boundary condition in COMSOL. I have come up with a few ideas:

1) Just use the k-vector associated with the upper layer, e.g. air.
kx | 0
ky | cos(theta_air)
kz | sin(theta_air)
2) Use a k-vector that is different in each layer.
kx | 0
ky | cos(theta_air)*(z =< z_air) + cos(theta_glass)*(z > z_air)*...
kz | sin(theta_air)*(z =< z_air) + sin(theta_glass)*(z > z_air)*...
3) Define multiple sets of periodic conditions, one for each layer. The first should be like in (1), the next should be
kx | 0
ky | cos(theta_glass)
kz | sin(theta_glass)

where i have assumed that the wave propagates in the z-direction with the electric field polarized in the x-direction and that the two first layers are "air" and "glass". I am aware that COMSOL can do the assignment of k-vectors automatically when periodic ports are used, but i would like to use scattered field formulation if possible, and in this case the k-vectors must be calculated manually AFAIK.

Any comments and/or good references on FLOQUET theory are much appreciated :)

1 Reply Last Post Nov 17, 2016, 6:01 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Emil Eriksen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 17, 2016, 6:01 a.m. EST
Emil,

I think if you have homogeneous mediums and the surfaces of your medums are perpendicular to periodic boundaries, there is no need to specify different types of Floquet, because only that component of the k-vector is importnant for Floquet periodicity, which is perpendicular to boundaries. This component is tangential to surfaces with different n and from Maxwell`s equations we know that this component is equal in each medium.

Regards,
Eugene
Emil, I think if you have homogeneous mediums and the surfaces of your medums are perpendicular to periodic boundaries, there is no need to specify different types of Floquet, because only that component of the k-vector is importnant for Floquet periodicity, which is perpendicular to boundaries. This component is tangential to surfaces with different n and from Maxwell`s equations we know that this component is equal in each medium. Regards, Eugene

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.