Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time step algorithm

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

As I know, Comsol can changes the time stepping in a model , for example when we select "Free" "BDF" in solvers. My question is what criteria does Comsol follow to do this change? How does Comsol know how much it should decrease or increase the time step for next iteration? What is the mathematical formula?

It would be great if anyone who knows related information, shares it here please.

Thanks,
Mehrdad

1 Reply Last Post Aug 11, 2016, 7:11 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 11, 2016, 7:11 p.m. EDT
I can see from internet and other foroum posts that :

" ... COMSOL reduces the time step size when it does not converge in the time or spatial domain ... "

or

" ...The Minimum step size is respected as long as the solver converges well. The automatic step-size algorithm detects poor convergence speed and other "problems" and reduces the step size ..."

But how does Comsol reduces the time step? If we use Runge-Kutta or Generalized alpha, then we have option "manual". I guess we can define something like Courant number by an expression in that option (maybe !). But how about "BDF" ?
I can see from internet and other foroum posts that : " ... COMSOL reduces the time step size when it does not converge in the time or spatial domain ... " or " ...The Minimum step size is respected as long as the solver converges well. The automatic step-size algorithm detects poor convergence speed and other "problems" and reduces the step size ..." But how does Comsol reduces the time step? If we use Runge-Kutta or Generalized alpha, then we have option "manual". I guess we can define something like Courant number by an expression in that option (maybe !). But how about "BDF" ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.