Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Large plastic deformation with the Mohr-Coulomb formulation.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am working on the following 2D multi-layered model :
- An Elasto-Plastic sediment layer (5km thick) with an horizontal velocity of 0.1 cm/yr.
- A Visco-elasto-plastic decollement layer (1km thick).
- An Elasto-plastic basement layer (10km thick).
- An Elasto-plastic magmatic intrusion in the basement.

BC:
-top layer is moving at a velocity of 0.1 cm/yr.
-bottom is glued.
-edges are allowed to move only in the horizontal direction.
-gravity is on.

With this model i try to analyse two things: 1) The partition of deformation between the upper sediment layer and the basement (separated by a low viscosity decollement layer) and 2) The localisation of plastic deformation in the basement ( i suspect that it should localize around the magmatic complex, designed to be harder than the surrounding).

My problem is the following: My model is running quiet well for a couple of time and i actually start to have nice result...but it suddendly fails due to , i think, too much plastic deformation (Failed to compute elastopalstic strain variable).

I was wondering how could i make this model run longer... Should i use hyperelastic material ? something else?

Thank you.

Regards,

Edit1: I´ve attached a surface plot of elastic deformation (solid.epe) at the timestep when the model does not converge anymore.

Rémi

0 Replies Last Post Aug 29, 2016, 6:06 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Remi Vachon

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.