Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Force between a permanent magnet and magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to calculate the force between a permanent magnetic material and a magnetic field created by electromagnet. Can anyone help me with the required steps in COMSOL 4.4? Kindly do the needful. Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Sep 20, 2016, 1:00 a.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 19, 2016, 11:07 a.m. EDT
I have attached a very simple (axisymmetric, stationary) coil and permanent magnet model as a starting point. Note that it is a version 5.2a file, so not sure if you will be able to open it, but that's the only version I have.

Basically, to calculate the force, you will need to define a Force Calculation node in the "mf" interface., and select the domain for which you want to calculate the force. Give the force a name so that you can use it as a variable within your model.
Things get a little more complex if you have non-linear steels in your model, and/or time varying fields or moving meshes.

Hopefully the attached gives you a starting point.
I have attached a very simple (axisymmetric, stationary) coil and permanent magnet model as a starting point. Note that it is a version 5.2a file, so not sure if you will be able to open it, but that's the only version I have. Basically, to calculate the force, you will need to define a Force Calculation node in the "mf" interface., and select the domain for which you want to calculate the force. Give the force a name so that you can use it as a variable within your model. Things get a little more complex if you have non-linear steels in your model, and/or time varying fields or moving meshes. Hopefully the attached gives you a starting point.

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 20, 2016, 1:00 a.m. EDT
I couldn't open the file. I was able to find the force between two permanent magnets which would be similar to a stationary field and permanent magnet that you mentioned here. But I need to find the force between the permanent magnet and time varying magnetic field. If you could give the steps for that it would be very useful for me. Anyways Thanks for your reply.
I couldn't open the file. I was able to find the force between two permanent magnets which would be similar to a stationary field and permanent magnet that you mentioned here. But I need to find the force between the permanent magnet and time varying magnetic field. If you could give the steps for that it would be very useful for me. Anyways Thanks for your reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.