Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

seeking guidance

premalatha lakshmanan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm ECE student of karpagam college of engineering..I'm going to do Artificial Kidney using Comsol software in mems as my project... what are all the physics we should use,Geometry, dimensions and guide me how to proceed this project.....
Abstract: A finite element model of fluid
and solute transport in a hollow fiber dialyzer . The model was able to simulate the processes of post-dilution
hemofiltration and hemodialysis,and demonstrated behavior that is characteristic of these processes such as backfiltration. For the current project, the model was extended toinclude heat loss that can impact the viscosity
and transport characteristics of blood and ultrafiltrate. The reflection of middle-sizedmolecules at the membrane was included.Finally, the addition of partitioning of solutesbetween intra- and extra-erythrocyte compartments was included. Prior to simulation,the finite element model was calibrated to previously measured ultrafiltration data and solute clearances using the Optimization Lab module of COMSOLMultiphysics®Simulations were then performed with COMSOL Script® to compare convective and diffusive transport(hemofiltration vs.hemodialysis for both a small diffusible solute(urea) as well as middle-sized molecules. Thesimulations were performed for both pre-dilutionand post-dilution fluid replacement, as well asmixed pre-and post-dilution modes. The resultsprovide guidelines for selecting operating modes and parameters during continuous renal replacement therapy.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 26, 2010, 7:51 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello premalatha lakshmanan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.