Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material property of frequency-domain simulation dependent on previous static simulation (small-signal analysis)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

When performing a small-signal analysis of a non-linear magnet material (e.g. www.comsol.com/model/small-signal-analysis-of-an-inductor-2128), the linear permeability in the frequency domain is calculated as dB/dH at the operating point on the BH-curve from the static analysis.

However, this results in a considerably higher permeability value than what I think is correct for small signal excitations, i.e. before saturation of the material. The attached figure (from a scientific paper) illustrates that the slope of a minor BH-loop, i.e. the recoil permeability is considerably less than dB/dH of the major-loop BH-function (e.g. μrecoil=150 compared to dB/dH=1000).

I would like to maximize the permeability used in the frequency domain analysis to a constant value for all dB/dH values exceeding this value, see second attached fig as example.

Is it at all possible to implement this type of material definition where the permeability of the frequency-domain model is dependent of the H-field value of the previous static simulation?

Thanks for any input on this!

Kind regards,
Johan Gustafsson

0 Replies Last Post Sep 16, 2016, 5:00 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Johan Gustafsson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.