Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Assigning different meshes for different physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using equation based modeling with two general form PDEs that are coupled together. The spatial derivative of the independent variables in one PDE appears in the other one. In one of the equations I have to use very fine mesh while the other one works OK with a coarser mesh. Is there anyway that I can assign different meshes for each of these equations to save the computation time?

4 Replies Last Post Aug 11, 2017, 8:23 a.m. EDT
Mao COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 16, 2016, 3:06 p.m. EST
Hi Youness,

It is possible if you split the two PDEs into two components and use component coupling for data exchange between the two components. For more information please contact support@comsol.com, or you can log in to your COMSOL Access account, and submit support cases from there.

Best regards,
Mao Mao, PhD
COMSOL Inc.
Hi Youness, It is possible if you split the two PDEs into two components and use component coupling for data exchange between the two components. For more information please contact support@comsol.com, or you can log in to your COMSOL Access account, and submit support cases from there. Best regards, Mao Mao, PhD COMSOL Inc.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 17, 2016, 2:45 a.m. EST
Hi,

If your problem is one-way coupled, you could also solve the problem using two separate studies, since you can select a different mesh for each study.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, If your problem is one-way coupled, you could also solve the problem using two separate studies, since you can select a different mesh for each study. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 17, 2016, 9:26 a.m. EST
Thank you Mao and Henrik for the replies. The coupling is two-way one. I tried Mao's solution and it seems working.
Thank you Mao and Henrik for the replies. The coupling is two-way one. I tried Mao's solution and it seems working.

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 11, 2017, 8:23 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Aug 11, 2017, 8:23 a.m. EDT
Hello Henrik

Is there any limitation or relation between two meshes?!
Because when i choose my second mesh finer (while the first one is coarse) I face an error, but with a fine mesh it goes well!
For your information I'm using data from corse mesh in the fine mesh

regards,
Farzad
Hello Henrik Is there any limitation or relation between two meshes?! Because when i choose my second mesh finer (while the first one is coarse) I face an error, but with a fine mesh it goes well! For your information I'm using data from corse mesh in the fine mesh regards, Farzad

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.