Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with electric potential between 2 electrodes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to do simple 2d electrostatic simulation of electric field strength between two electrodes in air. The distance between electrodes is very high - about 60 metres. I defined one electrode as ground and second electrode as terminal with applied voltage. Around the electrodes I draw big circle representing air with zero charge boundaries.
I am stuck at electric potential calcualation. The problem is - when I apply voltage 1 V on the electrode, I still have electric potential of half the applied voltage in the middle between the electrodes (30m from electrode) and electric potential is also nearly everywehere in the air, which is unacceptable. There should be zero electric potential everywhere in the air few milimetres from the electrode.
Besides, when I apply voltage of 100 kV on the same model, it is still the same situation. There is very high electric potential everywhere in the air and not just around the electrode.

Can anyone tell me, where is the problem ?

3 Replies Last Post Nov 23, 2016, 2:52 p.m. EST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 23, 2016, 12:21 p.m. EST
As far as I understand your description the result is exactly as it can be expected. I recommend some textbook study.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
As far as I understand your description the result is exactly as it can be expected. I recommend some textbook study. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 23, 2016, 2:11 p.m. EST
Thank you for answer,

I am not very skilled in theory and I need this simulation for university purposes, that is true.
But if this behavior is normal, it means that when I take, lets say 1 V battery. I put positive pole to copper contact and another pole to second contact which is 60 metres away. Then I take ideal multimeter, connect one clip to second contact and I leave the second clip in the air in the middle between the contacts nad I measure 0,5 V ?

Much worse situation is when I have overhead DC line in height 60 metres with 750 kV and there will be approximately 10 kV potential 2 metres above the ground (according to simulation) ? That would not be very safe...

I am most probably wrong, but I don't know where.
Thank you for answer, I am not very skilled in theory and I need this simulation for university purposes, that is true. But if this behavior is normal, it means that when I take, lets say 1 V battery. I put positive pole to copper contact and another pole to second contact which is 60 metres away. Then I take ideal multimeter, connect one clip to second contact and I leave the second clip in the air in the middle between the contacts nad I measure 0,5 V ? Much worse situation is when I have overhead DC line in height 60 metres with 750 kV and there will be approximately 10 kV potential 2 metres above the ground (according to simulation) ? That would not be very safe... I am most probably wrong, but I don't know where.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 23, 2016, 2:52 p.m. EST
Bob,

just get a textbook on electrostatics and you will see. It is pretty pointless to to use FE modeling without a clue of the theory behind.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Bob, just get a textbook on electrostatics and you will see. It is pretty pointless to to use FE modeling without a clue of the theory behind. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.