Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Radial field components set to zero in 2d axisymmetrical in rf module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I'm trying to calculate the scattering electric field in a 2d axisymmetric rf module problem. I define the background field as Er=exp(j*emw.k0*z). That means that the wave is propagating in the positive z axis direction.

The problem is when I try to look at the far field pattern. Apparently, the electric field is set to zero at the r=0 plane. That means that no matter what, at the angle zero in front of my structure in the far field I get zero scattered field.

I know that the radial field is set to zero because of discontinuity of the field.

Is there any way to over come this problem?

Best,

Moshe

1 Reply Last Post Jan 24, 2011, 11:18 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 24, 2011, 11:18 a.m. EST
Moshe,

there is no r=0 plane. r=0 defines the symmetry axis and as such it is not possible to have a non-zero radial component on the symmetry axis.
You will need to switch to 3D or maybe 2D planar works?

Regards
Edgar
Moshe, there is no r=0 plane. r=0 defines the symmetry axis and as such it is not possible to have a non-zero radial component on the symmetry axis. You will need to switch to 3D or maybe 2D planar works? Regards Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.