Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Please Help !! How to use result data (temperature, concentration) as initial conditions and then re-run the simulation?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone :)

I need to use the result of a simulation (the temperature and concentration result) as initial conditions and then re-run the simulation.

Basically I'm trying to input text files (.txt) as an initial value. I am currently modeling time dependent heat and mass transfer simultaneously and my model is working fine (2D geometry). What I would like to do is to

1. run the model for a certain time (600s)
2. export the temperature and concentration results as a text file,
3. Make changes to the (x,y) coordinates of the text file
4. Input the new temperature and concentration text file as initial value for another 600s simulation which contains the exact geometry and mesh

Could someone please help me on how to go about? I have been trying to achieve this for quite a long time now

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post Jan 9, 2017, 3:46 p.m. EST

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 9, 2017, 11:53 a.m. EST
You can do it by exporting, both concentration and temperature data. Use interpolation function to assign domain initial values of concatenation and temperature in the model and rerun another study after 600 s.
You can do it by exporting, both concentration and temperature data. Use interpolation function to assign domain initial values of concatenation and temperature in the model and rerun another study after 600 s.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 9, 2017, 3:46 p.m. EST
Hi

normally you have mapping operators and options to set the initial conditions from one solved run to point to the next one. But you might have some very specific need that I cannot really understand from your question, that does not allow you to do this.

Have you checked out the videos on the solver settings and the mapping operators on the COMSOL web site ? There are also interesting BLOGs about mapping operators, as well as solver chaining

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally you have mapping operators and options to set the initial conditions from one solved run to point to the next one. But you might have some very specific need that I cannot really understand from your question, that does not allow you to do this. Have you checked out the videos on the solver settings and the mapping operators on the COMSOL web site ? There are also interesting BLOGs about mapping operators, as well as solver chaining -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.