Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling a 2-D ultrasonic transducer array

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOLers,
Currently, I am trying to model a 2D ultrasonic array which are driven with different phases but with the same frequency. I am intend to calculate the acoustic pressure using Pressure Acoustic, Frequency Domain interface and trace the particles inside the field by using Particle Tracing Module. I do not want to include the piezoelectric physics of the transducer since it might make the model more complex.

After looking at several examples in the model libraries, I haven't found any idea on how to set up such a system in COMSOL. The examples mention about one transducer and the medium domain constructed axis-symetrically and include the Acoustic-Piezoelectric Interface, which I don't want to add to my model.

Futhermore, another example named Bessel Panel in the model libraries uses "Monopole Point Source" physics node, I am not sure whether it is the same as the kind of piezoelectric transducer (Murata MA40S4) I am intend to model or not.

I am very appreciated if anyone can give me suggestion.
Cheers,
Huy

3 Replies Last Post Jan 13, 2017, 1:48 p.m. EST
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 13, 2017, 10:02 a.m. EST
Since you are exciting waves in a fluid, boundaries with imposed displacement will be a reasonable approximation to piezoelectric transducers. You could verify this by looking at the solution for a single transducer emitting into the fluid.

This would be a less accurate approximation if for 1-3 composite or MEMS transducers.

DWGreve
DWGreve Consulting
Since you are exciting waves in a fluid, boundaries with imposed displacement will be a reasonable approximation to piezoelectric transducers. You could verify this by looking at the solution for a single transducer emitting into the fluid. This would be a less accurate approximation if for 1-3 composite or MEMS transducers. DWGreve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 13, 2017, 12:15 p.m. EST

Since you are exciting waves in a fluid, boundaries with imposed displacement will be a reasonable approximation to piezoelectric transducers. You could verify this by looking at the solution for a single transducer emitting into the fluid.

This would be a less accurate approximation if for 1-3 composite or MEMS transducers.

DWGreve
DWGreve Consulting

Dear D Greve,
First of all, I would like to thank for your explanation for my problem. However, I still don't very much understand what you mean. Could you please expand further details? What do the term "imposed displacement" mean and the procedures how to verify by the solution?
Cheers,
Huy
[QUOTE] Since you are exciting waves in a fluid, boundaries with imposed displacement will be a reasonable approximation to piezoelectric transducers. You could verify this by looking at the solution for a single transducer emitting into the fluid. This would be a less accurate approximation if for 1-3 composite or MEMS transducers. DWGreve DWGreve Consulting [/QUOTE] Dear D Greve, First of all, I would like to thank for your explanation for my problem. However, I still don't very much understand what you mean. Could you please expand further details? What do the term "imposed displacement" mean and the procedures how to verify by the solution? Cheers, Huy

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 13, 2017, 1:48 p.m. EST
You need to define your geometry so that one surface has patches that you can select. Assign a normal acceleration to the patches that correspond to transducers. (I forgot that pressure acoustics does not allow you to impose displacements as the structural mechanics mode does). In sinusoidal steady state the acceleration is just -displacement*(omega)^2. Each different transducer patch will have a different phase (or maybe amplitude also).

To validate this approach- do a solution for a single piezoelectric transducer emitting into your liquid. You will probably find that the surface acceleration is fairly uniform.
You need to define your geometry so that one surface has patches that you can select. Assign a normal acceleration to the patches that correspond to transducers. (I forgot that pressure acoustics does not allow you to impose displacements as the structural mechanics mode does). In sinusoidal steady state the acceleration is just -displacement*(omega)^2. Each different transducer patch will have a different phase (or maybe amplitude also). To validate this approach- do a solution for a single piezoelectric transducer emitting into your liquid. You will probably find that the surface acceleration is fairly uniform.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.