Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-linear Polymer Plasticity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working on a problem that involves plastic strain with polymers, I have stress-strain data of the material, However when I try to model it as Non-linear Uniaxial data, my solutions never converge. I attempted to define very simple problems and I am always unable to get a solution.

My workaround was to use the approach used in the "elasto-plastic plate" model, that defines hardening as following max(0,stress_strain_curve(solid.epe+solid.mises/solid.E)-solid.sigmags), given that i have already fitted my stress-strain data into the stess-strain curve. However, I am not quite sure if this approach is valid for polymers, The documentation mentions it is valid for metals.

So I need help either with one of the following
1. How to get the non-linear material model to converge
2. Verifying this formula for polymers or if there is another preferred method?

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post Feb 10, 2017, 6:25 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohamed Ashour

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.