Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convective heat transfer over long duration

Maximilian Secklehner

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

the problem I'm currently trying to solve consists of a coaxial cable (cylinder) arrangement buried in soil, and I'm hoping to get a good estimate of the temperatures of the inner and outer conductor. Only the inner conductor generates thermal losses, the insulation material between the inner and outer conductor is mainly gas, therefore I have to take convective heat transfer into account.
Since the surrounding soil can be seen as a big thermal capacitance, the system wont' be thermally stable beneath 300 days. Solving for Non-Isothermal Flow (predefined coupling of heat transfer and laminar flow) then results in very long simulation times.

What would be a good way to optimize my problem?
I'm primarily interested in the steady state result. Is it possible to tune the simulation to achieve a convergent solution with a stationary solver for convection problems?
Another option might be an adjustment of the time stepping: the absolute change in the fluid velocity between to consecutive days is very small. Is there a way to just solve for the heat transfer physic for a day, then recalculate the coupled physics, then back to step one and so on...?
(Additional information: the flow is generally not very fast, < 0.15 m/s.)
Since the difference seems to be small, the transported heat energy shouldn't depend on correct flow velocity values for every second.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Maximilian

0 Replies Last Post Feb 20, 2017, 12:36 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Maximilian Secklehner

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.