Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Regarding non-obtaining of the appropriate result in dielectrophoretic separation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Respected,
I am attaching the screenshots and the corresponding files for your reference. I am simulating 'Dielectrophoresis Separation of Platelets from Red Blood Cells' on COMSOL.

Even though I followed every instruction in the manual, I am not getting the appropriate result. Kindly help me out.

I want to add that the manuals available corresponds to version 5.1. But I have Version 5.0, due to which the simulations may not be running. Please provide instructions so as to simulate and get the appropriate results in Version 5.0

Also, in the attachment '1.jpg', I could not make out the instruction. Is there any typing error?? I have attached the corresponding module for the reference (Pg 9, 'Fillet I' paragraph).

I am looking forward for the favourable response at the earliest.

Sudip

4 Replies Last Post Apr 17, 2017, 12:26 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 12, 2017, 9:43 a.m. EDT
Hi Sudip,

Yes, it does look like the instructions in the "Fillet1" section were incorrect in the version 5.1 documentation. The current (i.e. 5.2a) version of the instructions are corrected: www.comsol.com/model/dielectrophoretic-separation-of-platelets-from-red-blood-cells-17013

Regarding your other questions: we would recommend caution in trying to follow instructions that are written for a different version of the software than the one you are using. While sometimes the instructions do not change between versions, sometimes they do. You can contact your COMSOL representative to either upgrade your license to the current version (so you can use the instructions at the link above), or to obtain a version of the instructions that match your version of the software.

Best regards,
Jeff
Hi Sudip, Yes, it does look like the instructions in the "Fillet1" section were incorrect in the version 5.1 documentation. The current (i.e. 5.2a) version of the instructions are corrected: https://www.comsol.com/model/dielectrophoretic-separation-of-platelets-from-red-blood-cells-17013 Regarding your other questions: we would recommend caution in trying to follow instructions that are written for a different version of the software than the one you are using. While sometimes the instructions do not change between versions, sometimes they do. You can contact your COMSOL representative to either upgrade your license to the current version (so you can use the instructions at the link above), or to obtain a version of the instructions that match your version of the software. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 13, 2017, 12:45 a.m. EDT
Hello Jeff,

Thank U for your favourable response. But I would like to obtain the set of instructions for Version 5.0 as I have very few days left for the submission of my project.

And in both the versions 5.2 and 5.2a, the manual asks to simply upload or 'Insert Sequence' a file 'dielectrophoretic_separation_geom_sequence.mph' from Application Libraries folder, which I obviously don't possess as I have version 5.0. Also I want to know the geometry behind it, which will otherwise not be known if I simply upload a readymade file. Because I have to explain the geometry as well to my guide. I am attaching the screenshot as well as the file of the manual for your reference (Pg 7, GEOMETRY I paragraph).

Also, as per your instruction, I have downloaded the manual for Version 5.2, as you have said that the instructions have been corrected. I am attaching the same here (Fillet I instuction Comsol 5.2.jpg. Also Pg.20, Fillet I paragraph). But all the instructions are same as that of 5.1.

It would be of great help if U if you can simply correct the 'fillet I' instruction and any other instructions apt for the Version 5.0. As I have only 1 week left for the submission of my project, it would be rather tedious to upgrade the version only for 1 week.

Thank you

Sudip
Hello Jeff, Thank U for your favourable response. But I would like to obtain the set of instructions for Version 5.0 as I have very few days left for the submission of my project. And in both the versions 5.2 and 5.2a, the manual asks to simply upload or 'Insert Sequence' a file 'dielectrophoretic_separation_geom_sequence.mph' from Application Libraries folder, which I obviously don't possess as I have version 5.0. Also I want to know the geometry behind it, which will otherwise not be known if I simply upload a readymade file. Because I have to explain the geometry as well to my guide. I am attaching the screenshot as well as the file of the manual for your reference (Pg 7, GEOMETRY I paragraph). Also, as per your instruction, I have downloaded the manual for Version 5.2, as you have said that the instructions have been corrected. I am attaching the same here (Fillet I instuction Comsol 5.2.jpg. Also Pg.20, Fillet I paragraph). But all the instructions are same as that of 5.1. It would be of great help if U if you can simply correct the 'fillet I' instruction and any other instructions apt for the Version 5.0. As I have only 1 week left for the submission of my project, it would be rather tedious to upgrade the version only for 1 week. Thank you Sudip

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 13, 2017, 8:27 a.m. EDT
You misread. My post indicated that the version 5.2a instructions are corrected. My post above does not mention version 5.2. You will find that the version 5.2a instructions for Fillet 1 are corrected (See the file you attached just above).

Please note also that when you insert a geometry sequence, you do get access to all the steps that were used to create the geometry in the Model Builder. This is not to be confused with importing a CAD file: in that case you cannot see how the geometry was created.

I am afraid I cannot offer to modify version 5.0 instructions when corrected 5.2a instructions exist. I'll invite you to contact you COMSOL representative for further assistance if needed.
Best regards,
Jeff
You misread. My post indicated that the version 5.2a instructions are corrected. My post above does not mention version 5.2. You will find that the version 5.2a instructions for Fillet 1 are corrected (See the file you attached just above). Please note also that when you insert a geometry sequence, you do get access to all the steps that were used to create the geometry in the Model Builder. This is not to be confused with importing a CAD file: in that case you cannot see how the geometry was created. I am afraid I cannot offer to modify version 5.0 instructions when corrected 5.2a instructions exist. I'll invite you to contact you COMSOL representative for further assistance if needed. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 17, 2017, 12:26 a.m. EDT
Hello Sir,

Thank you so much for your guidance. It was a mistake on my part that I failed to notice the Appendix for the geometry in the last part of the COMSOL 5.2a PDF file.

And thank you again for pointing out the same to me. I followed the instructions accordingly, and I have obtained the desired results.

I am grateful to you for taking out time from your busy schedule just to point the above small mistake.

Cheers.

Regards
Sudip
Hello Sir, Thank you so much for your guidance. It was a mistake on my part that I failed to notice the Appendix for the geometry in the last part of the COMSOL 5.2a PDF file. And thank you again for pointing out the same to me. I followed the instructions accordingly, and I have obtained the desired results. I am grateful to you for taking out time from your busy schedule just to point the above small mistake. Cheers. Regards Sudip

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.