Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling laser ablation in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a fairly simple question about COMSOL.

I have made a model in which a block is heated by a pulsing laser heat source.
I am using an iterative approach to solve it by solving for each pulse and then resolving with this solution as the intial conditions.

My question is would it be possilbe to actually 'remove' some of the material from the block, at each iteration, that has a temperature greater than a certain value?
e.g remove individual mesh elements if their temperature is greater than the vaporization temperature of the material.

I would really appreciate some help!
I have 2 weeks left to submit this project and would really like to get this working.

Thanks.
-Adam

13 Replies Last Post Oct 21, 2016, 3:28 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2011, 10:57 a.m. EST
Hi

you cannot change the topology = geometry shape, but you could try to change the the material density and other properties if the temperature goes above a given value, hence you bleaches and simulate material removal. But I'm not sure how to, perhaps following some of the ideas of the non linear variable from the model Library "Loaded_knee", a nice "topology Optimisation (without really changing the entity topology)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you cannot change the topology = geometry shape, but you could try to change the the material density and other properties if the temperature goes above a given value, hence you bleaches and simulate material removal. But I'm not sure how to, perhaps following some of the ideas of the non linear variable from the model Library "Loaded_knee", a nice "topology Optimisation (without really changing the entity topology) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 4:50 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for the help.
That is a clever idea, I shall give it a go.

Regards,
Adam.
Hi Ivar, Thanks for the help. That is a clever idea, I shall give it a go. Regards, Adam.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 8:42 a.m. EST
Hi,

Please tell me if you are successful as I am trying to model something very similar. I am new to the thermodynamic analysis in Comsol so the question might be basic. I think Ivar answered this in his post by stating that the density can be changed but just to be sure:

Can phase changes occur during the simulation?

For example. If water is heated to its boiling point by a source, you said that the density can be changed in Comsol to correspond to water vapor. However, there is also a change in vapor pressure which will result in some acoustic effects. Can vapor pressure also be changed in a similar way?

Pretty much, I'm trying to simulate the violent boiling of water with a temperature input and a pressure distribution output.

Thanks
Hi, Please tell me if you are successful as I am trying to model something very similar. I am new to the thermodynamic analysis in Comsol so the question might be basic. I think Ivar answered this in his post by stating that the density can be changed but just to be sure: Can phase changes occur during the simulation? For example. If water is heated to its boiling point by a source, you said that the density can be changed in Comsol to correspond to water vapor. However, there is also a change in vapor pressure which will result in some acoustic effects. Can vapor pressure also be changed in a similar way? Pretty much, I'm trying to simulate the violent boiling of water with a temperature input and a pressure distribution output. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 10, 2011, 3:27 a.m. EST
For boiling, see this model
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/3972/

For the removing/adding material see this model:
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/2112/

--
Niklas
For boiling, see this model http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/3972/ For the removing/adding material see this model: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/2112/ -- Niklas

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2011, 6:12 p.m. EDT
Dear Ivar:

I'm doing the modeling of laser machining. I already have heat transfer model, in which I can see the temperature profile.

I would like to remove the elements which is above the vaporization temp of the material to actually see the material removal by laser machining but I don't know how to do this.

I'm already using the level set method to distinguish between liquid and solid phase but no sucess for vapour phase.

If required I can send you the model file.

Please guide me.

Hitesh
Dear Ivar: I'm doing the modeling of laser machining. I already have heat transfer model, in which I can see the temperature profile. I would like to remove the elements which is above the vaporization temp of the material to actually see the material removal by laser machining but I don't know how to do this. I'm already using the level set method to distinguish between liquid and solid phase but no sucess for vapour phase. If required I can send you the model file. Please guide me. Hitesh

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 9, 2012, 2:14 a.m. EST
Hi,
do you solved the problem? I find a lot of papers use the ALE to track the moving boundary.
but after lot of tries(using the prescribed mesh displacement), only to fail. Could you mind giving me some tips?
Thanks. Best wishes to you and your family.

Dear Ivar:

I'm doing the modeling of laser machining. I already have heat transfer model, in which I can see the temperature profile.

I would like to remove the elements which is above the vaporization temp of the material to actually see the material removal by laser machining but I don't know how to do this.

I'm already using the level set method to distinguish between liquid and solid phase but no sucess for vapour phase.

If required I can send you the model file.

Please guide me.

Hitesh

Hi, do you solved the problem? I find a lot of papers use the ALE to track the moving boundary. but after lot of tries(using the prescribed mesh displacement), only to fail. Could you mind giving me some tips? Thanks. Best wishes to you and your family. [QUOTE] Dear Ivar: I'm doing the modeling of laser machining. I already have heat transfer model, in which I can see the temperature profile. I would like to remove the elements which is above the vaporization temp of the material to actually see the material removal by laser machining but I don't know how to do this. I'm already using the level set method to distinguish between liquid and solid phase but no sucess for vapour phase. If required I can send you the model file. Please guide me. Hitesh [/QUOTE]

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 25, 2014, 6:38 p.m. EDT
I'm starting my modeling now in laser ablation of metals using COMSOL, if you have any material that help me please send it to me.

Regards,
Fatema
I'm starting my modeling now in laser ablation of metals using COMSOL, if you have any material that help me please send it to me. Regards, Fatema

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 12, 2014, 11:31 a.m. EST
Hello Ivar,

I haved developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it.

Thanking you.

Meera kunden
Hello Ivar, I haved developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it. Thanking you. Meera kunden

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 17, 2014, 8:49 a.m. EST
Hello,

I have developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it.

Thanking you.

Meera kunden
Hello, I have developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it. Thanking you. Meera kunden

Juan Miguel Auñón Garcia

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 20, 2015, 6:13 a.m. EDT

Hello,

I have developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it.

Thanking you.

Meera kunden

Dear Meera

I am facing the same simulations than you. Did you solve the problem of removing parts?

Best wishes
Juan
[QUOTE] Hello, I have developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it. Thanking you. Meera kunden [/QUOTE] Dear Meera I am facing the same simulations than you. Did you solve the problem of removing parts? Best wishes Juan

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 13, 2016, 2:17 a.m. EDT
hi , i am facing the same model is anyone would help me please?

maher
hi , i am facing the same model is anyone would help me please? maher

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 13, 2016, 9:19 a.m. EDT
Here is a blog on thermal ablation that you may find helpful:
www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-thermal-ablation-for-material-removal/
Best regards,
Jeff
Here is a blog on thermal ablation that you may find helpful: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-thermal-ablation-for-material-removal/ Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 21, 2016, 3:28 p.m. EDT
Hello sir.

I am iterseted in the same as you already did. Can you tell me how to distingush between the solid and liquid? I am not interested in the evaporization. I am intersted in melting only.

Any documents or tutorials will be appreciated.

Thanks and best
=======
A. I. Gad
Hello sir. I am iterseted in the same as you already did. Can you tell me how to distingush between the solid and liquid? I am not interested in the evaporization. I am intersted in melting only. Any documents or tutorials will be appreciated. Thanks and best ======= A. I. Gad

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.