Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coating in a cutting tool

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good morning,

Any hint of how to simulate a coating (10 microns, for example) in contours 8, 4, and 5, without drawing them in a tool like SolidWorks? I tried to use Thin Layer from COMSOL v5.3, but it didn´t work out.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate the help.

Rogerio.

4 Replies Last Post Jul 18, 2017, 9:22 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 17, 2017, 10:46 a.m. EDT
Rogerio,

I don't see a thin Layer BC in your model. But of course you can apply one. So, what didn't work out for you? And what do you want to achieve with the thin layer?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Rogerio, I don't see a thin Layer BC in your model. But of course you can apply one. So, what didn't work out for you? And what do you want to achieve with the thin layer? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 17, 2017, 4:06 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Jul 17, 2017, 8:58 p.m. EDT
Good afternoon,

I study the thermal influence of the coatings which are applied in cutting tools. I've already tried using this COMSOL feature, but this feature returned an error.

Grateful.
Good afternoon, I study the thermal influence of the coatings which are applied in cutting tools. I've already tried using this COMSOL feature, but this feature returned an error. Grateful.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 17, 2017, 7:02 p.m. EDT
So what is this link telling us?

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
So what is this link telling us? -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 18, 2017, 9:22 a.m. EDT
Hello

Perhaps if you change your model this way you will have more success.
My HT module is jammed with a colleague, so I have only Thin Layer "thin features" active and not the "general" thin layer (more appropriate here) but it gives some clues.

Now, for such thin layers (I have invented a 50um thick layer, as your model did not have any thickness defined) which might not be your case, one need a very fine meshing, see the alpha & epsilon plots (heat diffusivity and effusivity values).
And, you will only notice differences during the fist few ms (at most 0.1 sec) with such thin layers, and if you have 1-2 um layers the time scale is even faster.

Physics tells us that there are limits in how much power we might push through a material surface of given heat properties, that is why, at high speeds, a cutting tool can remain cool, while the removed material is flying around red and very hot.

I have to set the time stepping to intermediate to force correct calculations, else it's all default COMSOL settings with some detailed postprocessing, and a push on the mesh, ideally the mesh should be even much smaller to respect the CFL limits for a diffusion equation.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello Perhaps if you change your model this way you will have more success. My HT module is jammed with a colleague, so I have only Thin Layer "thin features" active and not the "general" thin layer (more appropriate here) but it gives some clues. Now, for such thin layers (I have invented a 50um thick layer, as your model did not have any thickness defined) which might not be your case, one need a very fine meshing, see the alpha & epsilon plots (heat diffusivity and effusivity values). And, you will only notice differences during the fist few ms (at most 0.1 sec) with such thin layers, and if you have 1-2 um layers the time scale is even faster. Physics tells us that there are limits in how much power we might push through a material surface of given heat properties, that is why, at high speeds, a cutting tool can remain cool, while the removed material is flying around red and very hot. I have to set the time stepping to intermediate to force correct calculations, else it's all default COMSOL settings with some detailed postprocessing, and a push on the mesh, ideally the mesh should be even much smaller to respect the CFL limits for a diffusion equation. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.