Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary Conditions for Joule Heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello I am attempting a 2d simulation of micro heater array on a Silicon wafer. I have the actual design in autocad and imported the same in comsol v 5.3. The wafer is a p type Si whereas the heating elements are made of Gold .

I just went the simple way by adding joule heating from the library and defining the voltage and heat transfer in solids modules. I want the temperature distribution to be even throught the heating elements and therefore a not defining the boundary conditions of the device being operated at room temperature at the contacts.I defined at the edge of the wafer on either sides. (As seen by the screnshots below)

However, I believe the heater wont actually reach 400 degrees C just on application of 0.1V. I also assigned a heat flux at all the edges with a convection coeff of air i.e 20.

I am still at the early stages of comsol and have no idea on where else to specify the boundary conditions.saying that the device is being operated at room temperature. If I remove the temperature node then its an astronomically high temperature as there is no heat leaving the system.

Any help on this is appreciated

0 Replies Last Post Mar 9, 2018, 11:50 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Varun Baskar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.