Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Linear-elastic model particle-particle interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a study of multiphase flow (continuous phase: gas, discrete phase: solid particles - size 50 μm), where particle-particle interaction must be included.

When I looked at the Comsol documentation, I found out that there is not much information about "Linear-elastic model" in particle-particle interaction module. Therefore, I have a few questions: 1. Does "Linear-elastic model" corresponds to "soft sphere model"? 2. What is physical interpretation of "Equilibrium distance between particles"? 3. What is physical interpretation of "Cutoff length"? In the documentation it is written that: "If the distance between particles is greater than the cutoff length, the particle-particle interaction force between them is set to zero.". But how is it possible to calculate this "Cutoff length" / how to determine this value?

And overall - Is it possible to find more information/theory about this Linear-elastic force model somewhere in documentation, than it is written in "Particle Tracing Module User's Guide"?

Thanks in advance.

0 Replies Last Post Apr 12, 2018, 11:49 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Artur Rõbalko

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.