Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Open plate co-planar capacitor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I'm new to COMSOL, so please bear with me.

I head earlier asked about capacitance and its models. Upon spending some time learning my way around COMSOL, I came up with something. What I'm trying to do is model a planar capacitor with 2 open plates. I was suggested on my previous post to use the electrostatic model, which is what I did. I found 2 tutorials on capacitors in COMSOL and applied that and looked at a few models to come up with the following.

Since I'm still a noob at this, I would kindly ask someone to just take a look at my model/report and lemme know if what I did was indeed correct. My capacitor plates are 9cmx9cm and they're placed adjacent to each other. I am giving an excitation of 20V.

I then proceed to look at the frequency dependency of from 20kHz to 100kHz range with my excitation voltage of 20V. However, I'm getting an error when I try to add a slice regarding the 'volumetric loss density, electric'. It says undefined variable 'mod1.ec.Qrh' geom1 domain: 1 . I dont understand why this is coming since I'm following the article on freq. domain modeling of capacitor and they don't explicitly mention to add any variable called 'ec.Qrh' or something similar.

Thanks a lot for your help and time! :)

1 Reply Last Post Jul 11, 2018, 9:06 a.m. EDT
Yara Soares COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Jul 11, 2018, 9:06 a.m. EDT

Dear Richeek,

Thank you for positing your question. I have noticed that you didn't receive an answer yet. If you have access to a license on subscription, I would like to suggest sending an email to support@comsol.com for a swift response.

Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards,

Yara Soares

COMSOL BV | Röntgenlaan 37 | 2719 DX Zoetermeer Phone: +31 (0)79 363 4230 | Fax: +31 (0)79 361 4212

www.comsol.nl | yara.soares@comsol.com

Dear Richeek, Thank you for positing your question. I have noticed that you didn't receive an answer yet. If you have access to a license on subscription, I would like to suggest sending an email to support@comsol.com for a swift response. Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards, Yara Soares -------------------------------------------------------------------------- COMSOL BV | Röntgenlaan 37 | 2719 DX Zoetermeer Phone: +31 (0)79 363 4230 | Fax: +31 (0)79 361 4212 www.comsol.nl | yara.soares@comsol.com ----------------------------------------------

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.