Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solution with different element type inside one model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello World.

I would like to make a comparision betwwen different element types (interpolation function).
I'm still not familiar enough with the logic of the new model builder.

I know how to change the element type, but want to preserve the solution of a previously selected element type so I can compare them.

Is that possible?

Thanks.
Sebastian

9 Replies Last Post Jul 28, 2011, 4:16 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2011, 1:27 a.m. EDT
Hi

add another "study" right click the root node, then change the shape function

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi add another "study" right click the root node, then change the shape function -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 3, 2011, 6:58 a.m. EDT

Hi

add another "study" right click the root node, then change the shape function

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hm, where can I find this root node?
[QUOTE] Hi add another "study" right click the root node, then change the shape function -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hm, where can I find this root node?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 3, 2011, 4:05 p.m. EDT
Hi

the root node is the first top level one the "root", it's worth to carefully read the doc, to learn the meaning of the COMSOL definition, there is also a nice glossary on the main web site, use the "search" (forget v4.0 and its doc, that was a too early version, the v4.1 doc is far better, the 4.2, I would say at least as good as the 3.5 (but adapted to v4 ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the root node is the first top level one the "root", it's worth to carefully read the doc, to learn the meaning of the COMSOL definition, there is also a nice glossary on the main web site, use the "search" (forget v4.0 and its doc, that was a too early version, the v4.1 doc is far better, the 4.2, I would say at least as good as the 3.5 (but adapted to v4 ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 4, 2011, 5:45 a.m. EDT

Hi

the root node is the first top level one the "root", it's worth to carefully read the doc, to learn the meaning of the COMSOL definition, there is also a nice glossary on the main web site, use the "search" (forget v4.0 and its doc, that was a too early version, the v4.1 doc is far better, the 4.2, I would say at least as good as the 3.5 (but adapted to v4 ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Ok, I think I got it. Now I have two studies with different element types.
I'm sure you know how to plot two line plots in one window?
This would be the desired comparison for me ...

Thanks!
[QUOTE] Hi the root node is the first top level one the "root", it's worth to carefully read the doc, to learn the meaning of the COMSOL definition, there is also a nice glossary on the main web site, use the "search" (forget v4.0 and its doc, that was a too early version, the v4.1 doc is far better, the 4.2, I would say at least as good as the 3.5 (but adapted to v4 ;) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Ok, I think I got it. Now I have two studies with different element types. I'm sure you know how to plot two line plots in one window? This would be the desired comparison for me ... Thanks!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2011, 10:48 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe you are looking for one plot node (pointing to "None" solution) and then you add two separate subplot nodes, one pointing to each solution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe you are looking for one plot node (pointing to "None" solution) and then you add two separate subplot nodes, one pointing to each solution -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 12, 2011, 6:39 a.m. EDT

Hi

I believe you are looking for one plot node (pointing to "None" solution) and then you add two separate subplot nodes, one pointing to each solution

--
Good luck
Ivar

Sorry I have no idee how this is working.
I created two data sets - each containing a cut line from the two different solutions.
Added two subplots (line graphs) corresonding to the two different cut lines but every time only one line plot is show.

Obvioulsy this is not the way it's meant to be.
Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Sebastian
[QUOTE] Hi I believe you are looking for one plot node (pointing to "None" solution) and then you add two separate subplot nodes, one pointing to each solution -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Sorry I have no idee how this is working. I created two data sets - each containing a cut line from the two different solutions. Added two subplots (line graphs) corresonding to the two different cut lines but every time only one line plot is show. Obvioulsy this is not the way it's meant to be. Any suggestions? Thank you. Sebastian

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 13, 2011, 3:53 p.m. EDT
Hi

you efine the data to plot via the data set commands, as you say, but then the plots have several entries, you can define the original data set at the top plot node level, or chose "none" (first field) and then define thedata set in the different sub note plot commands, this way you get one plot windw, with different plots overlapped, aech from each data set (and not from the same one as if you kept the top plot node linked to a given data set)

Hope this is clearer ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you efine the data to plot via the data set commands, as you say, but then the plots have several entries, you can define the original data set at the top plot node level, or chose "none" (first field) and then define thedata set in the different sub note plot commands, this way you get one plot windw, with different plots overlapped, aech from each data set (and not from the same one as if you kept the top plot node linked to a given data set) Hope this is clearer ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 2, 2011, 1:01 p.m. EDT

Hi

you efine the data to plot via the data set commands, as you say, but then the plots have several entries, you can define the original data set at the top plot node level, or chose "none" (first field) and then define thedata set in the different sub note plot commands, this way you get one plot windw, with different plots overlapped, aech from each data set (and not from the same one as if you kept the top plot node linked to a given data set)

Hope this is clearer ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Well, no it's not clearer. I'm sorry but I don't get it.
Lets make it more clearer what I want (you will find the case attached).

I want to calculate THREE different cases on ONE geometry:

1) with triangle elements and linear interpolation function
2) with triangle elements and quadratic interpolation function
3) with rectangular elemtens and quadratic interpolation function

I don't know why I just need ONE model although the appropriate settings are defined there while having THREE different studies. At least this is how I read your posts.

What I think needs to be done is ONE study (which will simply calculate the stationary solution) and THREE different models - each containing the above mentioned three meshes.
Obviously I'm wrong on this part ...

Lets go a step ahead: Visualization. I think once the question of model, cases and studies is clear maybe I can even comprehend the usage of the Data Set and stuff like that.

I would appreciate if you can take a look inside the mode I have attached and maybe rearrange it so I can see how such a case SHOULD look like.

Thanks
Sebastian
[QUOTE] Hi you efine the data to plot via the data set commands, as you say, but then the plots have several entries, you can define the original data set at the top plot node level, or chose "none" (first field) and then define thedata set in the different sub note plot commands, this way you get one plot windw, with different plots overlapped, aech from each data set (and not from the same one as if you kept the top plot node linked to a given data set) Hope this is clearer ;) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Well, no it's not clearer. I'm sorry but I don't get it. Lets make it more clearer what I want (you will find the case attached). I want to calculate THREE different cases on ONE geometry: 1) with triangle elements and linear interpolation function 2) with triangle elements and quadratic interpolation function 3) with rectangular elemtens and quadratic interpolation function I don't know why I just need ONE model although the appropriate settings are defined there while having THREE different studies. At least this is how I read your posts. What I think needs to be done is ONE study (which will simply calculate the stationary solution) and THREE different models - each containing the above mentioned three meshes. Obviously I'm wrong on this part ... Lets go a step ahead: Visualization. I think once the question of model, cases and studies is clear maybe I can even comprehend the usage of the Data Set and stuff like that. I would appreciate if you can take a look inside the mode I have attached and maybe rearrange it so I can see how such a case SHOULD look like. Thanks Sebastian

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 28, 2011, 4:16 p.m. EDT

Hi

Hope this is clearer ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar

OK, forget my (quite frustrated) last post.
No everthing is clear to me expect one thing.

If I add another study ans change the discretization how can I know which study belongs to which discretization setting?

Sebastian

[QUOTE] Hi you efine the data to plot via the data set commands, as you say, but then the plots have several entries, you can define the original data set at the top plot node level, or chose "none" (first field) and then define thedata set in the different sub note plot commands, this way you get one plot windw, with different plots overlapped, aech from each data set (and not from the same one as if you kept the top plot node linked to a given data set) Hope this is clearer ;) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] OK, forget my (quite frustrated) last post. No everthing is clear to me expect one thing. If I add another study ans change the discretization how can I know which study belongs to which discretization setting? Sebastian

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.