Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar pipe flow- 3D post processing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm new to COMSOL Multyphisics. I succesfully built a 3D model of Laminar pipe flow. These are the conditions and geometery paprameters I used.

Length of the pipe= 0.05m
Radius of the pipe= 0.001m
Density of the fluid= 1000kg/m^3
Viscosity of the fluid= 0.05 Pa*s
Inlet pressure= 400Pa
Outlet Pressure= 0Pa

Reynolds number is 40

Boundary conditions :
No slip walls
Inlet= Pressure, no viscous stress P0=400Pa
Outlet=Pressure P0=0Pa

Stationary

I got my Vmax = 0.0412 m^2/s with a Extra coarse mesh.

Problems:

When ever I tried to use a finer mesh than this it gives me an error saying " "Failed to find a solution. Out of memory during LU factorization. Returned solution has not converged." or " Out of memory in stationary solver" .

For post processing, I want to plot Volumetric flow rate (Q m^3/s) vs Viscosity (mu) and Q vs Radius (m).

Can somebody let me know why i'm getting error messages when I tried to use a finer mesh and please give me some information that will help me and get me started on post processing.

Thank you

5 Replies Last Post Mar 14, 2015, 7:18 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2011, 12:49 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have noticed, that often it's better to set up some initial conditions on velocity and pressure drop (i.e. linear pressure drop and parabolic velocity profile), check the Forum it has been discussed many times

Check that you are in laminar (or respective turbulent) flow conditions and that your mesh is related (Reynolds mesh number see the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have noticed, that often it's better to set up some initial conditions on velocity and pressure drop (i.e. linear pressure drop and parabolic velocity profile), check the Forum it has been discussed many times Check that you are in laminar (or respective turbulent) flow conditions and that your mesh is related (Reynolds mesh number see the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2011, 9:21 a.m. EDT

Hi

I have noticed, that often it's better to set up some initial conditions on velocity and pressure drop (i.e. linear pressure drop and parabolic velocity profile), check the Forum it has been discussed many times

Check that you are in laminar (or respective turbulent) flow conditions and that your mesh is related (Reynolds mesh number see the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar

Dear Ivar,

Thank you so much for your response. I still don't understand how to start post processing since I'm really new to COMSOL. I need to plot Flow rate vs viscosity and flow rate vs Radius. How do I find flow rate and plot these? Is it possible to plot Velocity vs Radius and Velocity vs viscosity too?

Thank you very much for your time.

I'm attaching what I have so far. Please take a look at it.
[QUOTE] Hi I have noticed, that often it's better to set up some initial conditions on velocity and pressure drop (i.e. linear pressure drop and parabolic velocity profile), check the Forum it has been discussed many times Check that you are in laminar (or respective turbulent) flow conditions and that your mesh is related (Reynolds mesh number see the doc -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Dear Ivar, Thank you so much for your response. I still don't understand how to start post processing since I'm really new to COMSOL. I need to plot Flow rate vs viscosity and flow rate vs Radius. How do I find flow rate and plot these? Is it possible to plot Velocity vs Radius and Velocity vs viscosity too? Thank you very much for your time. I'm attaching what I have so far. Please take a look at it.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 9, 2012, 10:02 a.m. EST
How do I set the velocity profile to be parabolic if I apply a pressure difference across inlet and outlet. I know that the inlet velocity should be parabolic, but how do I specify that I I don know the flow speed? The flow speeds is what I am calculating.
How do I set the velocity profile to be parabolic if I apply a pressure difference across inlet and outlet. I know that the inlet velocity should be parabolic, but how do I specify that I I don know the flow speed? The flow speeds is what I am calculating.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 9, 2012, 3:39 p.m. EST
Hi

that looks good ;) Not that it matters but to be closer to a more realistic initial condition, as you impose 400[Pa] on the inlet at Z=0, and 0[Pa] pressure at the outlet at z=0.05, is to use something like initial pressure = 400[Pa]*(1-z/0.05[m])

To plot the radial veloyity, right click the "Data Set" and add a 3D cut line from 0,0,0 to 0,0.001,0 and or add a line higher up at Z=0.025 and 0.05 (these wil lshow up as small red lines. Then add a 1D plot node that points to the new data set "cut line 3D", and add a line plot with spf.U the velocity norm.

T get the response fr varying the dynamic viscuosity, you must rerun the model with different values, the easiest is to use a solver continuation sweep: 1) adda Global Parameter Param = 0, then change your viscosity nu0 to nu0*Param, thengo the the stationary solver node, and open the lower tab "continuation" add + Param and define a range i.e.
range(0.25,0.25,4)
This will add your nu0 from 25% to 400%. The resulting data set will now be an array, that you might plot per t value

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that looks good ;) Not that it matters but to be closer to a more realistic initial condition, as you impose 400[Pa] on the inlet at Z=0, and 0[Pa] pressure at the outlet at z=0.05, is to use something like initial pressure = 400[Pa]*(1-z/0.05[m]) To plot the radial veloyity, right click the "Data Set" and add a 3D cut line from 0,0,0 to 0,0.001,0 and or add a line higher up at Z=0.025 and 0.05 (these wil lshow up as small red lines. Then add a 1D plot node that points to the new data set "cut line 3D", and add a line plot with spf.U the velocity norm. T get the response fr varying the dynamic viscuosity, you must rerun the model with different values, the easiest is to use a solver continuation sweep: 1) adda Global Parameter Param = 0, then change your viscosity nu0 to nu0*Param, thengo the the stationary solver node, and open the lower tab "continuation" add + Param and define a range i.e. range(0.25,0.25,4) This will add your nu0 from 25% to 400%. The resulting data set will now be an array, that you might plot per t value -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 14, 2015, 7:18 a.m. EDT
I AM WORKING ON LAMINAR FLOW. ALL MY INITIAL CONDITIONS ARE ZERO. I HAVE SET INLET VELOCITY CONDOTIONS AND OUTLET PRESSURE CONDITIONS & CALCULATING PRESSURE DROP FROM THE PRESSURE CONTOUR IN RESULTS . THIS PRESSURE DROP SHOULD FOLLOW HEGAN POISEUILLES LAW. BUT IT IS NOWHERE NEAR THAT. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.
I AM WORKING ON LAMINAR FLOW. ALL MY INITIAL CONDITIONS ARE ZERO. I HAVE SET INLET VELOCITY CONDOTIONS AND OUTLET PRESSURE CONDITIONS & CALCULATING PRESSURE DROP FROM THE PRESSURE CONTOUR IN RESULTS . THIS PRESSURE DROP SHOULD FOLLOW HEGAN POISEUILLES LAW. BUT IT IS NOWHERE NEAR THAT. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.