Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Error for Initial Values(RF Module)

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am defining a model with different concentrations of oil and water and trying to measure the heat distribution by using the microwaves. But I obtained the error mentioning Initial values:

THE FOLLOWING FEATURE HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM
-FEATURE:TIME DEPENDENT SOLVER
-ERROR:FAILED TO FIND CONSISTENT INITIAL VALUES

Failed to find consistent initial values.
Undefined value found.
NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR.

Although the initial values defined are by default and I did not change any thing.Please see the attached file.

Can anybody suggest me some solution of these problems?

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies Last Post Oct 11, 2016, 8:12 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 19, 2011, 5:02 a.m. EDT
I have the same problem... Did you fix it?

Best regards,

Nicolas
I have the same problem... Did you fix it? Best regards, Nicolas

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 5, 2011, 3:01 p.m. EDT
Not yet!

What about you now?

Regards,
Not yet! What about you now? Regards,

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 5, 2011, 6:01 p.m. EDT
You have to change the mesh parameter. The reason I think is that your mesh parameter is too high.

Regards,

Nicolas
You have to change the mesh parameter. The reason I think is that your mesh parameter is too high. Regards, Nicolas

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 6, 2011, 2:20 a.m. EDT
what do you mean by too high?
I tried to change the mesh from Normal to Fine, but it continued to run for almost 10 hours without either giving error or results...After 10 hours, I stopped the simulation by myself.

Regards,
what do you mean by too high? I tried to change the mesh from Normal to Fine, but it continued to run for almost 10 hours without either giving error or results...After 10 hours, I stopped the simulation by myself. Regards,

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 5:36 a.m. EDT
Hello,

I have the same problem :(
I am working on a solid oxide fuel cell. The solver starts to work but after few iterations it stops with same error : NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR.

Did anybody find the source of problem and solution?

Thanks,
Omid
Hello, I have the same problem :( I am working on a solid oxide fuel cell. The solver starts to work but after few iterations it stops with same error : NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR. Did anybody find the source of problem and solution? Thanks, Omid

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 9:03 p.m. EDT
I am sorry for answering that late but I have stopped working on the project I was on. When you wreate the mesh you can create smal triangles and you can increase the size of them. When you the message "Nan..." it means that the mesh y ou try to create are to small (i.e you want a too accurate result). Start with coarse mesh and it should work (I think).

Good luck
I am sorry for answering that late but I have stopped working on the project I was on. When you wreate the mesh you can create smal triangles and you can increase the size of them. When you the message "Nan..." it means that the mesh y ou try to create are to small (i.e you want a too accurate result). Start with coarse mesh and it should work (I think). Good luck

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 29, 2013, 7:37 p.m. EDT
Hi there, I know this thread is old, but I am encountering the same error report in a model I am building for a microstrip patch antenna for the THz regime. Everything builds well but it won't even go over one iteration and the error Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR. pops up claiming that an undefined value was found. I can't seem to find out what the undefined value is.

I tried simply making the mesh more coarse but that didn't accomplish anything. I'm a little lost and in need of some help! Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?
Hi there, I know this thread is old, but I am encountering the same error report in a model I am building for a microstrip patch antenna for the THz regime. Everything builds well but it won't even go over one iteration and the error Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR. pops up claiming that an undefined value was found. I can't seem to find out what the undefined value is. I tried simply making the mesh more coarse but that didn't accomplish anything. I'm a little lost and in need of some help! Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2013, 3:45 p.m. EDT
Hi Regan,

I have the same problem, I am simulating a nano antenna, but I had lots of errors in Meshing and Comsol did not let me to use coarser meshes. I finally found a way to mesh my model without errors, but when I run it I see this NaN... error. Did you find any solution?
Hi Regan, I have the same problem, I am simulating a nano antenna, but I had lots of errors in Meshing and Comsol did not let me to use coarser meshes. I finally found a way to mesh my model without errors, but when I run it I see this NaN... error. Did you find any solution?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 5, 2014, 4:32 p.m. EST
Hello,

I am getting this problem in a very simple model I created just for testing (dipole radiating in an air cube). Did you find a solution?
Hello, I am getting this problem in a very simple model I created just for testing (dipole radiating in an air cube). Did you find a solution?

Muhammad Shemyal Nisar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 27, 2014, 2:48 a.m. EST
Hello people I am facing this problem as well. I am trying to simulate ring resonator coupled with a waveguide on a substrate. As soon as I click the "compute" button it shows me the error in message box as:

Undefined value found.
- Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR.
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)
- Error: Undefined Value found

I tried to make the mesh coarse and even extremely coarse but it didnt help.
Hello people I am facing this problem as well. I am trying to simulate ring resonator coupled with a waveguide on a substrate. As soon as I click the "compute" button it shows me the error in message box as: Undefined value found. - Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR. - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) - Error: Undefined Value found I tried to make the mesh coarse and even extremely coarse but it didnt help.

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 11, 2016, 8:12 a.m. EDT
Hello,

I am trying to solve the coupling between a waveguide and a microring resonator. I am following the same model as Comsol provide us on the web. The problem is that when I run my model this message appear:

Undefined value found.
-Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR.
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)

Could anyone help me, please?

Hello, I am trying to solve the coupling between a waveguide and a microring resonator. I am following the same model as Comsol provide us on the web. The problem is that when I run my model this message appear: Undefined value found. -Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR. - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) Could anyone help me, please?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.