Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How Linear Extrusion map the data from source to destination?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to use Linear Extrusion to map the data from Wave Optics (2D, ewfd, Mode Analysis) to a parameter in structrual mechanics (3D, solid mechanics, frequency domain). Specifically, I need to map the lowest-order electric field distribution in 2D to a surface of 3D bulky material (with the same cross section).

What I confuse is that the differentiation of linear-extructed parameters is always zero, no matter how the function inside linext(..) varys to the derivative. Please see below example that I have already tested in COMSOL:

• e.g. the electric field always varys in x direction in lowest-order electric field of the fiber: d(abs(comp.ewfd.Ex),x)!=0, so that we can non-zero the linear extrusion after the differentiation: linext(d(abs(comp.ewfd.Ex)x))!=0, which very makes sense.
  • However, when we do linear extrusion before differentiation, the function: d(linext(abs(comp.ewfd.Ex)),x) turns to zero in all mapping area.

That is concerning for further simulation because somehow, the dynamics of the latter physics require differentiation of parameters that were linear-extructed from the pervious simulation result, which means the differentiation could be zero during the whole latter study (I have not proved it but really concerning this potential issue).

Besides, I am also curious how linear extrusion maps the data if the source from previous simulation has multiple modes (e.g. mapping data from mode analysis with 4 desired number of modes)?

I hope I could express the issues clearly. Feel free to ask any doubts/ unclear info of my statement and looking forwards to your reply!

Thanks, Fenghao

0 Replies Last Post Oct 10, 2018, 1:51 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Fenghao Xu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.