Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using Non-Spherical Particles in Particle Tracing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

Is there any way to change the shape of the particles in the various Particle Tracing modules? I am trying to model the flow of cylindrical and disc shaped particles. I want to examine their different characteristics under the action of magnetophoresis and electrophoresis.

Both of these forces have, in the literature, different force equations from than those acting on the default spherical particles. I do see a way to choose Drag to compensate for non-spherical shapes, but I see no way to make a similar modification for the -phoreses.

Is there a way to do this? I've worked through all of the Particle Tracing tutorials to no end.

If there isn't a built in way to solve this, is there a way to add the necessary physics? For example, can I open the Particle Tracing module in Physics Builder and add the necessary variables to create cylinders and discs? And do so again to the -phoreses modules and modify the forces there?

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post Nov 15, 2018, 12:23 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Spencer Finer

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.