Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

export parametric sweep results

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi folks,

i ask for help concerning the following questions (version 4.2a):

1) i would like to export parametric sweep results without selecting them manually (as spreadsheet, for matlab postproc)
2) is there a way to dump the results (as predefined in 'Export') automatically? (like the results are drawn automatically)

thanks for any input
simon

10 Replies Last Post Aug 27, 2012, 11:50 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 17, 2011, 2:55 a.m. EDT
Hi

check the capabilities of the Results Derived Values, there you can postprocess and dump the desired values in a table and export that as a file or with cut&Paste

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the capabilities of the Results Derived Values, there you can postprocess and dump the desired values in a table and export that as a file or with cut&Paste -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 25, 2011, 4:18 p.m. EDT
I have almost the same question. I have defined the Export/data node, but I have to choose manually every parametric change.
What would be great is being able to export the results that I need (I'm doing induction heating and just need to store temperature) automatically at every iteration. Is there any way?
I have almost the same question. I have defined the Export/data node, but I have to choose manually every parametric change. What would be great is being able to export the results that I need (I'm doing induction heating and just need to store temperature) automatically at every iteration. Is there any way?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2011, 2:27 a.m. EDT
Hi

I suppose you can dumpt the desired results into a table and export the table in one go (for all parameter values)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I suppose you can dumpt the desired results into a table and export the table in one go (for all parameter values) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 4, 2012, 3:34 p.m. EDT
I would also like to dump the results (and derived values) into a file or table. I have 133 results from a 3D model with 20 eigenfrequencies each. When I try to evaluate the derived values (all or individually) of solution set Parametric 2 (which I believe is the complete set of all solutions), I get the following error: "Property solnum out of range."

1) Is there anyway to resolve this problem so I can evaluate the all my derived values at once (instead of 133 times individually)?

2) Is there any other way to export results and derived values for a large parametric sweep? I tried using the Export node, but I was only able to figure out how to do each run individually. Exporting from the solution set Parametric 2 yielded an empty table.

Thank you,
Ian
I would also like to dump the results (and derived values) into a file or table. I have 133 results from a 3D model with 20 eigenfrequencies each. When I try to evaluate the derived values (all or individually) of solution set Parametric 2 (which I believe is the complete set of all solutions), I get the following error: "Property solnum out of range." 1) Is there anyway to resolve this problem so I can evaluate the all my derived values at once (instead of 133 times individually)? 2) Is there any other way to export results and derived values for a large parametric sweep? I tried using the Export node, but I was only able to figure out how to do each run individually. Exporting from the solution set Parametric 2 yielded an empty table. Thank you, Ian

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 4, 2012, 5:58 p.m. EDT
Hi

you can also export a data set or a sub set.
The solnum issue is when you want to dump two table list results that do not have the same number of lines into an existing table

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can also export a data set or a sub set. The solnum issue is when you want to dump two table list results that do not have the same number of lines into an existing table -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2012, 4:30 p.m. EDT
Ivan,

Thank you for your rapid reply. I am still having a few problems exporting however.

1) When I export a data set in the Export node, COMSOL only allows me to export the results from each sweep individually (I must pick a specific run, and "ALL" is not an option). How can I export the results from all the sweeps at once?

2) Could you please explain the solnum issue further? Because of this error I believe, I can not compute my derived variables or export any data from my combined sweep results (though I can export each run individually).

Thank you very much,
Ian
Ivan, Thank you for your rapid reply. I am still having a few problems exporting however. 1) When I export a data set in the Export node, COMSOL only allows me to export the results from each sweep individually (I must pick a specific run, and "ALL" is not an option). How can I export the results from all the sweeps at once? 2) Could you please explain the solnum issue further? Because of this error I believe, I can not compute my derived variables or export any data from my combined sweep results (though I can export each run individually). Thank you very much, Ian

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2012, 5:03 p.m. EDT
Hi

I mostly get that erro if I try to load in a table with one line a reference from a series, or the contrary, if I have already dumped in a series and I try with a single line value, or a another number of line table entry,

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I mostly get that erro if I try to load in a table with one line a reference from a series, or the contrary, if I have already dumped in a series and I try with a single line value, or a another number of line table entry, -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 9, 2012, 12:48 p.m. EDT
Thank you for your help Ivan. I was not able to work around the error, so I had to re-run the sweep by breaking it into two sweeps. That allowed me to resolve my derived variables all at once and export them as I desired.

Not sure if there is a limit to how big an array can be, but I will be limiting my arrays in the future to avoid this problem again. If there is a limit, I wish COMSOL would document it so it was known.
Thank you for your help Ivan. I was not able to work around the error, so I had to re-run the sweep by breaking it into two sweeps. That allowed me to resolve my derived variables all at once and export them as I desired. Not sure if there is a limit to how big an array can be, but I will be limiting my arrays in the future to avoid this problem again. If there is a limit, I wish COMSOL would document it so it was known.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2012, 10:35 p.m. EDT
HI,
I have a similar question about exporting data into a file while sweep parameters in COMSOL model through Matlab livelink. I set the parameter V2 , for instance in a for loop in a Matlab function by " model.param.set('V2',V2); then run the study by "model.sol('sol1').run;" . In COMSOL GUI, I need to export the data manually into files. Here I was able to extract some information on 1D edges by mpheval. However, for a 2D domain, I don't quite get the format of the information I extract by mpheval. So I decided to save the data into file and call the variables. My question is how to save data into a file through Matlab function which runs the loop for sweep parameter.
I would appreciate a prompt comment on my problem.
Thanks,
Elham
HI, I have a similar question about exporting data into a file while sweep parameters in COMSOL model through Matlab livelink. I set the parameter V2 , for instance in a for loop in a Matlab function by " model.param.set('V2',V2); then run the study by "model.sol('sol1').run;" . In COMSOL GUI, I need to export the data manually into files. Here I was able to extract some information on 1D edges by mpheval. However, for a 2D domain, I don't quite get the format of the information I extract by mpheval. So I decided to save the data into file and call the variables. My question is how to save data into a file through Matlab function which runs the loop for sweep parameter. I would appreciate a prompt comment on my problem. Thanks, Elham

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2012, 11:50 p.m. EDT

I would also like to dump the results (and derived values) into a file or table. I have 133 results from a 3D model with 20 eigenfrequencies each. When I try to evaluate the derived values (all or individually) of solution set Parametric 2 (which I believe is the complete set of all solutions), I get the following error: "Property solnum out of range."

1) Is there anyway to resolve this problem so I can evaluate the all my derived values at once (instead of 133 times individually)?

2) Is there any other way to export results and derived values for a large parametric sweep? I tried using the Export node, but I was only able to figure out how to do each run individually. Exporting from the solution set Parametric 2 yielded an empty table.

Thank you,
Ian

Hi,

You can also use probes and that way, export the results to a file while the solver is running. The file is updated on each step of your parametric analysis.

See: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/30712/

--
Tolga
[QUOTE] I would also like to dump the results (and derived values) into a file or table. I have 133 results from a 3D model with 20 eigenfrequencies each. When I try to evaluate the derived values (all or individually) of solution set Parametric 2 (which I believe is the complete set of all solutions), I get the following error: "Property solnum out of range." 1) Is there anyway to resolve this problem so I can evaluate the all my derived values at once (instead of 133 times individually)? 2) Is there any other way to export results and derived values for a large parametric sweep? I tried using the Export node, but I was only able to figure out how to do each run individually. Exporting from the solution set Parametric 2 yielded an empty table. Thank you, Ian [/QUOTE] Hi, You can also use probes and that way, export the results to a file while the solver is running. The file is updated on each step of your parametric analysis. See: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/30712/ -- Tolga

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.