Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"periodic" boundary condition in structural mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am wondering how one can prescribe the correct boundary conditions to a periodic mechanical structure. For illustration purposes let's have a simple system as shown in the attached picture. The full system is an infinite series of this unit cell, shifted along the horizontal axis. Blue is a hard, red is a soft material, and we apply a high pressure inside the white void.

Since the full system is periodic, the first idea is to prescribe a periodic BC on the left and right sides. However, this constrains the displacements on the two boundaries to be equal: u<sub>dst</sub> = u<sub>src</sub>.

Since the structure is vertically symmetric, it will not bend when the pressure is applied, however, the left/right boundaries of the symmetry cell will not remain flat. The cell will expand due to the internal pressure.

After all, what would be needed is something like this, u,v,w meaning the displacements along the 3 directions, index 1 or 2 means left or right boundary. z is the horizontal axis in the picture.

u2 = u1 v2 = v1 w2 = w1 + C

where C is a constant. What is the best way to achieve this?

Thank you Daniel

4 Replies Last Post Mar 8, 2019, 5:09 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Feb 4, 2019, 11:00 a.m. EST

Hi Daniel,

This seems like a perfect fit for the Cell Periodicity feature, which was introduced in version 5.4.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Daniel, This seems like a perfect fit for the **Cell Periodicity** feature, which was introduced in version 5.4. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago Feb 5, 2019, 12:18 a.m. EST

Hello Henrik, Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately the highest version I have access to is 5.3a. I would be grateful for any smart workaround. Best regards Daniel

Hello Henrik, Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately the highest version I have access to is 5.3a. I would be grateful for any smart workaround. Best regards Daniel

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Feb 5, 2019, 7:24 a.m. EST
Updated: 5 years ago Mar 8, 2019, 9:35 a.m. EST

Hi Daniel,

There are some diffent approaches you could use, but the quickest is probably to edit the constraint expressions for the periodic boundary condition in Equation View.

Add 'C' as an extra DOF using a Global Equations node (without equation).

Then modify the constraint and constraint force expressions in the periodicity condition to something like

if(solid.incontact_pc1,u+C-solid.src2dst_pc1(u),0)

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Daniel, There are some diffent approaches you could use, but the quickest is probably to edit the constraint expressions for the periodic boundary condition in Equation View. Add 'C' as an extra DOF using a **Global Equations** node (without equation). Then modify the constraint and constraint force expressions in the periodicity condition to something like if(solid.incontact\_pc1,u+C-solid.src2dst\_pc1(u),0) Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago Mar 8, 2019, 5:09 a.m. EST

Hi Henrik, Thanks a lot for your suggestion and help, it works. Daniel

Hi Henrik, Thanks a lot for your suggestion and help, it works. Daniel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.