Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Regards to electrolyte potential

Chaitanya Vishwakarma

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i want to know about the physical meaning of electrolyte potential in simulation

1 Reply Last Post Jul 8, 2019, 1:31 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 8, 2019, 1:31 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 8, 2019, 1:30 p.m. EDT

The electrochemical potential of a charged species is the chemical potential mu + z_iFphi where z_i is the charge number of the species, F the Faraday constant and phi the Galvani potential. This definition comes from Guggenheim and has proved to be very useful. Potential of an electron in the solid phase (electrode) minus phi is the electrode potential, which leads to the Nernst equation. Hence, the electrolyte potential is the potential that appears in the electrochemical potential of a species in the solution. It cannot be measured as such but summing all the Galvani potential differences in an electrochemical cell, the measurable cell potential can be defined.

The electrochemical potential of a charged species is the chemical potential mu + z_i*F*phi where z_i is the charge number of the species, F the Faraday constant and phi the Galvani potential. This definition comes from Guggenheim and has proved to be very useful. Potential of an electron in the solid phase (electrode) minus phi is the electrode potential, which leads to the Nernst equation. Hence, the electrolyte potential is the potential that appears in the electrochemical potential of a species in the solution. It cannot be measured as such but summing all the Galvani potential differences in an electrochemical cell, the measurable cell potential can be defined.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.