Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol Beam Displacement Solution Very Off

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

To verify my comsol results, I evaluated a round solid aluminum beam with the following specifications and load case:

beam diameter: 28mm beam length: 300mm

Physics: The beam is extruded in the z-direction Fixed Constraint: on the bottom face (3) Boundary Load: on the top face (4) of 1000N

Running a Stationary Study, I receive the following outputs: Volume Maximum Total Displacement (mm): 0.2741

I have verified this result against Fusion 360's NASTRAN solver and the analytical solution, both of which give me the following result: Total Deflection: 4.32mm

Am I overlooking something or is COMSOL outputting very wrong values?

2 Replies Last Post Sep 18, 2019, 10:16 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 18, 2019, 1:45 p.m. EDT

Hi,

you entered a radius of 28 mm in the Comsol model. With 14 mm you get 4.33 mm displacement.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, you entered a radius of 28 mm in the Comsol model. With 14 mm you get 4.33 mm displacement. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 18, 2019, 10:16 p.m. EDT

That was a poor oversight on my part. Thank you so much for pointing this out.

That was a poor oversight on my part. Thank you so much for pointing this out.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.