Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mixture Model Simulation using General Form PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

I am using the Mixture Model with K-Epsilon to model solid liquid turbulent flow.
The problem is the overshoot in the turbulence generation of the standard k-epsilon model.
I have pressure values higher than I should.

Since you cannot couple Low Reynolds with the Mixture Model (I am presuming, since I haven't found anything in this matter), I will have to employ General Form PDEs.

I was wondering if anyone has some experience in this matter...

I could use some help, either in the form of existing models or tutorials.

Best Regards,

Rui

2 Replies Last Post May 28, 2012, 5:11 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rui Silva

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 27, 2012, 3:23 a.m. EDT
Hello,

Have you made any headway on this issue?

I'm looking to model a dense, miscible mixture (Euler-Euler is perfect), but k-omega turbulence is essential and not provided in tandem with any of the mixture models.

I was thinking it could be programmed explicity or, as you suggested, coupling the models together, but I have no clue how this could be done in COMSOL.

Cheers,
-M
Hello, Have you made any headway on this issue? I'm looking to model a dense, miscible mixture (Euler-Euler is perfect), but k-omega turbulence is essential and not provided in tandem with any of the mixture models. I was thinking it could be programmed explicity or, as you suggested, coupling the models together, but I have no clue how this could be done in COMSOL. Cheers, -M

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2012, 5:11 a.m. EDT
Hello Matt,

I was not successful in coupling the models. And using PDE proved also unsuccessful due to the fact that applying numerical stabilization is very trick in PDE Mode.

So I was left with the option of modifying the mixture model.

I am having some success but still far from complete.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Rui Silva
Hello Matt, I was not successful in coupling the models. And using PDE proved also unsuccessful due to the fact that applying numerical stabilization is very trick in PDE Mode. So I was left with the option of modifying the mixture model. I am having some success but still far from complete. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Rui Silva

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.