Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Setting boundary condition for transient modulation of a sector of electrical machine

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I was able to solve a sector of electric machine in static condition. (Full machine is 8 pole I want to solve it for 2 pole) However in transient simulation ( I mean moving rotor). The field i am seeing does not make sense and I am sure I am making a mistake in setting up the boundary conditions properly. If you can help.

The bounday conditions I have:
1. Sector symmetry (between the edge boundaries)
2. Continuity in the boundary (using identity pair, between the contacts of stator and rotor)

I am using rotating machinery magnetic module. I was looking into a book Multiphysics Modeling Using COMSOL: A First Principles Approach by Roger W. Pryor. However I could not find a solution from the worked out example, 2D AC Generator: Sector—Static and Transient but I guess that one was for older version and its very difficult for me to fit all the steps in 4.2a.

Do I need to give any additional point boundary condition? I have kept Identity pairs referance frame as spatial (both source and destination)

Thanks for your help. I have attached a video of the field distribution.

Arijit

2 Replies Last Post May 28, 2013, 3:42 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Arijit Banerjee

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 29, 2012, 8:07 a.m. EDT
Hi Arijit,

did you get a reply on this? I only read your message right know.

For the interface between rotor and stator you must use "Sector Symmetry"
and not "Continiuty"

Regards

Jens
Hi Arijit, did you get a reply on this? I only read your message right know. For the interface between rotor and stator you must use "Sector Symmetry" and not "Continiuty" Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2013, 3:42 p.m. EDT
Hello Jens,

I guess you are right. But how about the condition on the edge of the sectional machine?

Best regards,
Xuezhou
Hello Jens, I guess you are right. But how about the condition on the edge of the sectional machine? Best regards, Xuezhou

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.