Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3d laminar flow - solver problem: Segregated group 1.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I´m simulating the convection heat transfer in a pipe. The external surface of the pipe receive solar radiation to heat the fluid that is flowing.

I start my model with the laminar flow and after I can validate this part of my model I'll put the heat transfer in the pipe to the fluid. But some problems ocurred when i started to comput my model.
When I selected the inlet boundary condition to "velocity" I obtained successful simulation with initial velocity field "0". When change the initial velocity field the simulation dont converge. I dont understand this.

I have changed the inlet boundary condition to "laminar inflow - flow rate", because in the real model I have just the values of fluid flow. At the first time that I tried to simulate occured the following error : "Segregated solver steps do not involve all components." So I added the variables in the segregated step and now the following error is occuring in the simulation:

Failed to find consistent initial values.
Segregated group 1

Matrix has zero on diagonal.
Last time step is not converged.

I dont understand why this error is occuring. I tried to change the initial values but the error persists.
Can someone help me? I put my file in the attach.

Another thing I would ask is how to plot the velocity profile along the pipe?

thanks.

Gustavo

6 Replies Last Post Jun 19, 2014, 4:34 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 1, 2012, 3:27 p.m. EST
Hi

there are several comments I can make:

1) you should update to the latest patch, check with your system admin or your comsol rep
2) your model:
a) even if there are a few temperature references in the SPF physics, in fact "T" is not globally defined in your model, try to evauate "T" on a point in the derived values, you will get an error message. Easiest way around: add a parameter T = 700[K], this defines a static temperature value, that COMSOL might everwrite later, particularly if you add a HT or other physics
b) your mesh does not have any boundary layer, try to use the default "physics generated mesh" it is better
c) your initial conditions all = 0 (the default) are not ideal, try to add a reasonable velocity profile and a pressure drop i.e. à la Poiseuille (check the Forum try a search) this will help the solver to converge better
d) yo seem to have edited the solver sequence or the model several times. You should "delete" all your solver and let COMSOL regenerate a fresh default new one (this will also delete the plots so you need to redefine them) The reason is that you have probably modified te sovler a few times, then COMSOl leaves the solver as is, even if you change the physics and that these changes implies changes in the solver, COMSOl assumes that you know what new specialities are needed. Thereore deleting the solver sequence and regenerating it from scratch is a good way to get a fresh and clean solver sequence, based on the latest physics and main solver node settings
e) in fact for the "spf" you do not need the steel at all
f) you you want to use mode advanced fluid structure temperature exchange, then the best is to use the "nitf" physics which combines SPF and HT full for you, but be aware its tricky to get to solve as its rather setting and initial condition sensitive

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are several comments I can make: 1) you should update to the latest patch, check with your system admin or your comsol rep 2) your model: a) even if there are a few temperature references in the SPF physics, in fact "T" is not globally defined in your model, try to evauate "T" on a point in the derived values, you will get an error message. Easiest way around: add a parameter T = 700[K], this defines a static temperature value, that COMSOL might everwrite later, particularly if you add a HT or other physics b) your mesh does not have any boundary layer, try to use the default "physics generated mesh" it is better c) your initial conditions all = 0 (the default) are not ideal, try to add a reasonable velocity profile and a pressure drop i.e. à la Poiseuille (check the Forum try a search) this will help the solver to converge better d) yo seem to have edited the solver sequence or the model several times. You should "delete" all your solver and let COMSOL regenerate a fresh default new one (this will also delete the plots so you need to redefine them) The reason is that you have probably modified te sovler a few times, then COMSOl leaves the solver as is, even if you change the physics and that these changes implies changes in the solver, COMSOl assumes that you know what new specialities are needed. Thereore deleting the solver sequence and regenerating it from scratch is a good way to get a fresh and clean solver sequence, based on the latest physics and main solver node settings e) in fact for the "spf" you do not need the steel at all f) you you want to use mode advanced fluid structure temperature exchange, then the best is to use the "nitf" physics which combines SPF and HT full for you, but be aware its tricky to get to solve as its rather setting and initial condition sensitive -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 4, 2012, 3:27 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

I did what you suggested to me, the segregated group 1 error dont occur more. I tried to put the poiseuille law to pressure drop , but initial condition error occur. I used the following equation:

DP = 8*mu*Q*L/pi*R^4

obs: Q = V/pi*R^2

So, to my model with values:

DP = (8*mat1.def.mu[Pa*s]*3.25[m]*(0.000001[m/s]/(pi*(0.009[m])^2)))/(pi*(0.009[m])^4)

my initial velocity field is 0.000001 [m/s] because the pump operation is 0.002 - 0.012 [m^3/s].

I tried a lot of values in the initial pressure and initial velocity field, but the solution dont converge. i dont know whats wrong in my model.

About the mesh... I tried to use the "physics generated mesh", but i needed to use an extra fine model to my geometry not deform. this result in a high computational cost and when i compute the solution the message of "out of memory" appear , so a way around: I created two meshs, one to domain 1 and other to domain 2. The computational cost is lower.

You say me to use the nitf physics, but this physics use the compressible formulation for the fluid and I want to use imcompressible formulation, so I think the only way is to use the spf and ht physics. Am I wrong?

I tried to attach the file of my model, but the size is to big.

Can you say me what s wrong with my initial conditions?

best regards

Gustavo

Hi Ivar, I did what you suggested to me, the segregated group 1 error dont occur more. I tried to put the poiseuille law to pressure drop , but initial condition error occur. I used the following equation: DP = 8*mu*Q*L/pi*R^4 obs: Q = V/pi*R^2 So, to my model with values: DP = (8*mat1.def.mu[Pa*s]*3.25[m]*(0.000001[m/s]/(pi*(0.009[m])^2)))/(pi*(0.009[m])^4) my initial velocity field is 0.000001 [m/s] because the pump operation is 0.002 - 0.012 [m^3/s]. I tried a lot of values in the initial pressure and initial velocity field, but the solution dont converge. i dont know whats wrong in my model. About the mesh... I tried to use the "physics generated mesh", but i needed to use an extra fine model to my geometry not deform. this result in a high computational cost and when i compute the solution the message of "out of memory" appear , so a way around: I created two meshs, one to domain 1 and other to domain 2. The computational cost is lower. You say me to use the nitf physics, but this physics use the compressible formulation for the fluid and I want to use imcompressible formulation, so I think the only way is to use the spf and ht physics. Am I wrong? I tried to attach the file of my model, but the size is to big. Can you say me what s wrong with my initial conditions? best regards Gustavo

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 5, 2012, 3:53 a.m. EST
Hi

if you have a fully symmetric model, why not us e the 2D-axi, it's much cheaper computationally, and just as precise, this allows you also to play more with initial conditions and other parameters, at least until you are happy with your model, then only you can try it out in fully 3D, you gain a lot of time like that.

For the mesh, as you have a long thin pipe you can use a sweep mesh as all your gradients (velocity and heat when that comes) will be radial and not along the pipe axis you can live with elongated mesh elements (along the axial direction) without major loss of info. This is valid for laminar flow, much less for turbulent ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a fully symmetric model, why not us e the 2D-axi, it's much cheaper computationally, and just as precise, this allows you also to play more with initial conditions and other parameters, at least until you are happy with your model, then only you can try it out in fully 3D, you gain a lot of time like that. For the mesh, as you have a long thin pipe you can use a sweep mesh as all your gradients (velocity and heat when that comes) will be radial and not along the pipe axis you can live with elongated mesh elements (along the axial direction) without major loss of info. This is valid for laminar flow, much less for turbulent ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 18, 2012, 9:42 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar..
I have attached my gemotry file.I could not solve for Darcy flow through the domains-hydrogen channel,as i specified in the selections list.I tried also,with laminar flow in the same domain.I couldnt solve for the velocity profile. I get error in multiphysics compilation or error in evaluating variable spf.U,if I use laminar.My problem - hydrogen channel has laminar flow and the fluid diffuses into the underlying next layer and reaches its next for reaction.I'm very much new to COMSOL but given a complex project.I'm struck up with the initial flow solving itself,and couldn't proceed next.Please help me to resolve the issue.I have attached the assembly geometry since the mph file faced uploading error and aslo have notifiedthe channel in the png file attached.Please bear with me and help for the problem
Hi Ivar.. I have attached my gemotry file.I could not solve for Darcy flow through the domains-hydrogen channel,as i specified in the selections list.I tried also,with laminar flow in the same domain.I couldnt solve for the velocity profile. I get error in multiphysics compilation or error in evaluating variable spf.U,if I use laminar.My problem - hydrogen channel has laminar flow and the fluid diffuses into the underlying next layer and reaches its next for reaction.I'm very much new to COMSOL but given a complex project.I'm struck up with the initial flow solving itself,and couldn't proceed next.Please help me to resolve the issue.I have attached the assembly geometry since the mph file faced uploading error and aslo have notifiedthe channel in the png file attached.Please bear with me and help for the problem

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 18, 2012, 11:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

setting up such a model, even if it seems simple, and learning COMSOL the same time is far from trivial. I can only suggest to start simple, i.e. take a thin straight tube of correct section and representative length. Then get the laminar flow running, add more complication, and i.e. diffusion through a wall, turbulence, ...

But only one at the time.

Then check the parameters, can the model be simplified, does a long tube need to be simulated in detail through its section or can it be made 1D ? else you need a cluster to solve it, and more time to learn and validate that approach

And others out there might have further suggestions ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi setting up such a model, even if it seems simple, and learning COMSOL the same time is far from trivial. I can only suggest to start simple, i.e. take a thin straight tube of correct section and representative length. Then get the laminar flow running, add more complication, and i.e. diffusion through a wall, turbulence, ... But only one at the time. Then check the parameters, can the model be simplified, does a long tube need to be simulated in detail through its section or can it be made 1D ? else you need a cluster to solve it, and more time to learn and validate that approach And others out there might have further suggestions ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 19, 2014, 4:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

I am trying to stimulate an array of magnets and coils to find the induced emf in the coil. But i am getting the error message:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Segregated group 1

System matrix is zero.
Last time step is not converged.

I am not able to attach the file due to file size being large, Can anyone help
Hi I am trying to stimulate an array of magnets and coils to find the induced emf in the coil. But i am getting the error message: Failed to find consistent initial values. Segregated group 1 System matrix is zero. Last time step is not converged. I am not able to attach the file due to file size being large, Can anyone help

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.