Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass balance error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello There,

I am using the Comsol 5.3a CFD module to study laminar flow in simple geometry. the relevant COMSOL file and geormetry discription photo have been attached.

Geometry:

there are two parallel headers, connected together using and annulus(concentric cylinders, where water flows between two cylinders). water enters from the front side of the first header and outs from the backside of the second header.

Problem statement:

the mass balance is ok between inlet and outlet. However, the mass balance is not correct between both ends of the annulus.  Can somebody explain why there is a significant mass balance error for both ends of the annulus? Is there any way to improve the mass balance error? It should be mentioned that I used a normal velocity field which has explained in(https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-calculate-mass-conservation-and-energy-balance/) to calculate the mass balance.

Assumptions:

laminar flow (which is checked by Re#)-no gravity effect- incompressible flow.

P.s. I refine the mesh (using both physics and user controlled meshing)and improved the mass balance error but still, there is a considerable error.

looking forward for any suggestion, idea,... Regards, Hassan

0 Replies Last Post Mar 19, 2020, 4:57 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Hassan Firouzbakht

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.