Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time dependent adaptive mesh refinement output is on every mesh refinement -> large files

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am evaluating the use of Comsol Plasma Module for the simulation of streamer propagation. The nature of the problem requires the use of adaptive mesh refinement in time. It seems that Comsol adaptive mesh refinement is doing a good job but it stores the solution in the beginning and at the end of every mesh refinement. In my case I do refinements quite often which results in huge file at the end. I do not need all these solutions (although they could be very useful for diagnostics). How can I tell Comsol not to store the solution at every mesh refinement but just in the specified by me times? The "times to store" option in the time dependent solver is set to "Specified times".

Thanks,
Stan

3 Replies Last Post May 30, 2014, 11:03 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Stanimir Petrov

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 12, 2012, 5:32 a.m. EDT
Same problem over here, did you manage to solve it out??

regards
Same problem over here, did you manage to solve it out?? regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 25, 2013, 4:09 a.m. EDT
Hello,

my first adaptive mesh refinement is still running, for hours now.. and it does not move anymore..

it is a time dependent microwave plasma simulation. It has arrived to 1E-6 seconds in time, but seems to be stucked in an endless loop searching for convergence.

how to debug those situations? how can I follow what this refinement algorithm is doing?
it is not ploting anything.. no convergence, no results during calculation..

update: my model does only one mesh refinement and the n goes to divergence? I must have missed something somewhere? why isn't it remeshing more than one time?

how is comsol reacting to the error indicator? what formula should be used? which values makes the refinement process start?

thank you

lukas
Hello, my first adaptive mesh refinement is still running, for hours now.. and it does not move anymore.. it is a time dependent microwave plasma simulation. It has arrived to 1E-6 seconds in time, but seems to be stucked in an endless loop searching for convergence. how to debug those situations? how can I follow what this refinement algorithm is doing? it is not ploting anything.. no convergence, no results during calculation.. update: my model does only one mesh refinement and the n goes to divergence? I must have missed something somewhere? why isn't it remeshing more than one time? how is comsol reacting to the error indicator? what formula should be used? which values makes the refinement process start? thank you lukas

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2014, 11:03 a.m. EDT
Hello,

according to the support it seems that it is impossible to suppress the output meshes because they are used by the solver to compute a solution which appears obvious. Which is more embarassing is that you can't avoid saving them and that then your computation can slow down and the size of your file increases a lot (in my case I had about 1000 meshes for a size of 6.5Gb, was really slow).

The solutions I found:

lower quality of the mesh
lower threshold for remeshing
less measurement points

But the quality of the solution is then worse.

If you manage to make better than me I am really interested!

Bye
Hello, according to the support it seems that it is impossible to suppress the output meshes because they are used by the solver to compute a solution which appears obvious. Which is more embarassing is that you can't avoid saving them and that then your computation can slow down and the size of your file increases a lot (in my case I had about 1000 meshes for a size of 6.5Gb, was really slow). The solutions I found: lower quality of the mesh lower threshold for remeshing less measurement points But the quality of the solution is then worse. If you manage to make better than me I am really interested! Bye

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.